Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: firefox 1.5 is crap!

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: firefox 1.5 is crap!

i stopped using firefox several months ago. i use konqueror in kde, epiphany in gnome and opera in windows.
    Help Ubuntu rise to the top! Join the Ubuntu Folding@Home Team

Apps loading too slowly? Prelink

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Remember that Dapper is an EXPERIMENTAL release right now, approximately the halfway mark for the release in April.

You should not expect Dapper to just be a Ubuntu with newer packages and cool new features that works 24/7/182.5 just like any other stable release. As a development release, work is always ongoing, not to mention mistakes and conflicts of work are pretty common, too.

If you cannot accept:
    * Some programs being unstable at the time.
    * your Ubuntu being broken to various degrees once every few upgrades, and needing to take time from other work to fix (or even reinstall) Ubuntu
    * Pulling in 100MB of updates on average per 24 hour period
    * Crayon drawn bootup splashes and other terrible attempts at humor

you shouldn't be running a development release. However, if you have some extra space for a dual boot (or an extra PC), trying Dapper is pretty cool. Not only do you get to see what's coming up without waiting another 3 months, but you also can help out the distro by reporting bugs to Launchpad, because if you report it AFTER the release, often times it will not get fixed till the next release!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDuality
    That's quite amazing. 1.5 for Macs and *nix seems to work fine from what i've seen, but FF 1.5 on Win (regardless of version) has a huge memory leak in it if you leave numerous tabs open for any considerable length of time. A whole helluva lot of people have complained about it.
    Christ man, this "memory leak" has existed in ALL versions since it was called phoenix, it's not a memory leak, it's the caching subsystem doing it's job.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Remember that Dapper is an EXPERIMENTAL release right now, approximately the halfway mark for the release in April.

You should not expect Dapper to just be a Ubuntu with newer packages and cool new features that works 24/7/182.5 just like any other stable release. As a development release, work is always ongoing, not to mention mistakes and conflicts of work are pretty common, too.

If you cannot accept:
    * Some programs being unstable at the time.
    * your Ubuntu being broken to various degrees once every few upgrades, and needing to take time from other work to fix (or even reinstall) Ubuntu
    * Pulling in 100MB of updates on average per 24 hour period
    * Crayon drawn bootup splashes and other terrible attempts at humor

you shouldn't be running a development release. However, if you have some extra space for a dual boot (or an extra PC), trying Dapper is pretty cool. Not only do you get to see what's coming up without waiting another 3 months, but you also can help out the distro by reporting bugs to Launchpad, because if you report it AFTER the release, often times it will not get fixed till the next release!
    Add "not being able to boot into x and not being able to boot period to that and i'll agree.

Don't run Dapper as your primary install, run the minimalistic install on it and keep it in a testing area and migrate when you find it stable enough, just don't be tempted to keep updating your now upgraded but stable install becaus when it's at it's most stable point the next batch of experimental are released into current and it breaks again.

I wanted to contribute some to Ubuntu but tracking Current in Ubuntu is a full time job so i won't be doing that except the bug reports.

manicka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerome bettis
    so i'm back to ubuntu here (awesome btw) and i installed firefox 1.5 the other day. this thing locks up like windows 95, has anyone else been having lots of problems with it?
    Have you disabled ipv6?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I don't have major problems with FF 1.5, but a couple of times it has spontaneously quit, but then that has happened with other programs as well. But what's just annoying is that in FF 1.5 in both Ubuntu and Windows XP, sometimes when I control-click a link to open it in a new tab, the window switches from its maximised state to its unmaximised state. Has anyone else experienced this?? I have also experienced the memory leak I think in XP.. I had about 16 tabs open the other day, a few of which with lots of pictures and flash, and it stopped responding. I didn't see the leak in the task manager, but I will remember to have a look next time FF stops responding.
    www.bsodcomic.com
    "Because life looks better in .jpg"

Beans

Other than the occasional and otherwise expected crap-out, FF1.5 is working fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had a similar problem with Firefox 1.5 and Breezy Badger. It was crashing on me every few minutes, so much that I was contemplating using Opera full time, which I normally hate.
    The solution was to ditch scim and use xim... Also, I re-installed firefox as per the wiki, instead of the Automatix version. Now it seems to be rock solid, no problems, and faster than 1.07, thank Linus.

To use xim, install it from the repos, and launch firefox like this:

Code:
    GTK_IM_MODULE=xim /opt/firefox/firefox %u

Beans

the Automatix install of Firefox 1.5 works for me. No problems here, nothing abnormal happening. Except I wish that the next release would have better memory/resource management. Opera (which I tried and don't like) almost performs as well as Firefox, but with less strain on resources (comparing purely from KSysGuard). So until that day comes, I'm using Konqueror for a while...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    I have been using it since it's release with no problems whatsoever. Pages load faster and my home page now displays properly. It could be a bad install or a conflict with the previous version if you did not uninstall it.
    "Your home page"
    But not all. Try opening www.2wire.com, it wont display properly. And still, there are alot of website that won't display properly with Firefox. But it works well with IE and Konqueror.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast