Thread: Make Totem or VLC play flash in browser?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Make Totem or VLC play flash in browser?

Is't possible to make VLC or totem play flash in firefox on sites like youtube?

Beans

Re: Make Totem or VLC play flash in browser?

I dont think so. Firefox automatically uses the adobe flash plugin for flash files and mplayer for avi. I dont think it is easy to change.
    For high-res minimalist and abstract wallpapers check out my Deviantart profile - http://hyperdude111.deviantart.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yes and no.

Neither are capable of handling flash afaik. However, flash is only used to initialize the video & handle the stop/pause/play thing. The video itself can be played by a video player.

VLC has a plugin for firefox.
    Microsoft Patents the Crippling of Operating Systems. (Link: Patent 7,536,726)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It's *possible* to play a flv in Youtube from an external media player seamlessly. I have a friend who does this. His setup however is a custom Python script with heavy magicking to load the page, extract the video url, modify the page source to replace the flash application with the .flv, and have the external player/plugin handle it.

At the moment his hack is not really releasable, exists only on his computer, and he's busy with real life at the moment, so it will be done when it will be done.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans

on youtube yes, other sites not really.

grab the greasemonkey extension & this script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/50771

i use it all the time for youtube, i have gnome-mplayer & gecko-mediaplayer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Arrow Re: Make Totem or VLC play flash in browser?

Vlc and totem both are palying just .flv not .swf (flash)

so sites like youtube player .flv in background witha .swf player in froentend...
    --- I am what I am because of what we all are ----