Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java Install problem on Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Java Install problem on Wine

Hellos everybody!
    I tried Ubuntu about two years ago for some days, but went back to windows for some reason. Now I've come back to the Ubuntu world and using Ubuntu for some ten days, it feels right! See now that the Ubuntu community is growing fast.

I have question though, some applications at my work place are depend on IE6 and specific Java ver.
    I need IE6 just for these application to work. After installing IE6 on Wine, IE6 keeps closing ever time I try to open the application. The problem is that j2re-1_4_2_15-windows-i586 was not properly installed. This is the allowed Java ver for this application. I have been searching around to find a solution with no real result.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
    Greetings
    Tatariw
    Last edited by Tatariw; July 13th, 2009 at 09:00 AM.

Beans

Re: Java Install problem on Wine

A quick search turned up the following (see comment #10 in the linked thread): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=298910

NOTE: I have not done this myself, so I can't personally vouch for the method. If you try it, please post back and let us know if it worked or not.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Did you install the windows version on IE 6? There is a program called ie4linux, maybe it will work better for you. You can find it here:
    http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers!
    Ubuntu User number # 27895

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I have installed ies4linux. Am working on the process link HotShotDJ has sent.
    The thing again is that I can not locate the drive_c (it is not there) at home folder to add advpack.dll file. It is hiding some place?

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The drive_c folder is in a hidden folder called .wine in your home directory.

EDIT: Example - mine is in /home/doomspark/.wine
    Last edited by IHeequ5i; July 13th, 2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Clarification

Beans
    Distro

Hi,
    Every folder under my /home/myuser/ does not contain a folder named .wine (no wine folder here at all). Should I remove and install wine, ie4linux etc from add/remove again?

Thanks again!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The .wine folder is a hidden folder. If you are using nautilus hit ctrl h. to show hidden files.

Beans
    Distro

Than you,
    The .wine folder is now located and I can paste the advpack.dll file on system32 folder.
    The advpack was already there, overwrited. Choosing advpack.dll from wine configuration again and a new install of Java did not give any solution. Installation of Java is interupted, because there is an error on patchjre.exe file.

And another thing is that the currupt installation of Java in wine can't be uninstalled.

Thanks for your follow ups folks!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tatariw View Post
    Installation of Java is interupted, because there is an error on patchjre.exe file.

And another thing is that the currupt installation of Java in wine can't be uninstalled.
    The cool thing with Wine is that you can start out fresh simpy by deleting the .wine directory in your home folder (you can even create "wine bottles" for different applications, but lets not get into that right now). That is what I would do at this point. I suspect that the initial bad install of Java may be contributing to your problem.

Go ahead and drag the .wine directory to your trash bin, and then start again. Get IE installed, and then follow the link I gave you above and try to install Java. If there are any errors, make sure you post them. There were several packages from Microsoft that I had to install in WINE before I could get some software to run (mostly involving VB 6), and it was the error messages from Wine that helped me track down the issues.

If you continue to have problems, let me know and I'll see if I can replicate them on my system. What version of Wine do you have installed? (Applications -> Wine -> Configure Wine and click on the "About" tab)
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

Ok -- I've successfully installed IE6 + Java 1.4.2_19. Tested at http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/...n/applets.html (many java sites do NOT work, as they require newer version of Java)

1) Deleted my .wine directory (actually, I just moved it out of the way)
    2) Used Winetricks
    Code:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    sh winetricks
    3) Using Winetricks,installed:
    • ie6
    • allfonts
    • d3dx9
    • wininet

4) Installed Java 1.4
    Code:
    wine j2re-1_4_2_19-windows-i586-p.exe
    5) Simulated a Windows reboot (for good measure)
    Code:
    wineboot
    6) Ran IE6 and tested some java 1.4 applets at the above listed website
    Code:
    wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/iexplore.exe
    NOTE:
    • Wine Version: 1.0.1 (from standard Jaunty repository)
    • Winetricks Version 20090705
    • Java install file: j2re-1_4_2_19-windows-i586-p.exe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast