Thread: downgrading python

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

downgrading python

I'm developing an app in django. My webhost uses python 2.5, but my local machine is using 2.6. I want to downgrade my version so I'm using the same as my server. How do I do this? When I de-select the python-2.6 package, synaptic wants to uninstall a bunch of stuff that I still need. Currently I have both 2.5 and 2.6 installed, I just need to figure out a way to have my system only use 2.5 instead of 2.6. How do I do this? I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: downgrading python

try using python2.5???
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by slavik View Post
    try using python2.5???
    How? I have 2.5 and 2.6 installed, but I need it to be so that when I type "python", it runs python2.5 instead of python2.6

but I need to still keep 2.6 so I can keep firefox 3.5 and all the other stuff that is going to be removed if I remove 2.6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nbv4 View Post
    How? I have 2.5 and 2.6 installed, but I need it to be so that when I type "python", it runs python2.5 instead of python2.6
    No, you don't. You just need to type "python2.5 someprog.py" instead of "python someprog.py".