Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to ubuntu - beginner's help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: new to ubuntu - beginner's help

Mostly use tar and rsync to backup stuff, if your looking for a gui prog, I don't know of any off hand.

Also on the dual boot, I see that as just a crutch, but I have more than one machine so I have one Ubuntu, and one windows/ubuntu. I only use the Ubuntu only one, and since I can't just reboot it it gives me incentive to find an Ubuntu solution for my problem instead of just going to Windows and doing a task.

Over the last 3 months, I have used Windows exactly 3 times, when I go to my office and use my workstation which has Vista on it.

It also helps me to learn alot more about Linux, which I personally feel will be very useful sonner than later.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by skryzak View Post
    thanks! i have a seasoned ubuntu user who's helping me set up, i can ask him to dual boot at least for the first few weeks.

One thing that would be helpful to know is that it's much easier to setup the dual boot by installing windows first!

Ubuntu can recognize a windows installation but windows is clueless to anything but other windows installs. What works best is to setup the partitions you want to end up with, install windows, then linux on the remaining partitions.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    One thing that would be helpful to know is that it's much easier to setup the dual boot by installing windows first!
    I have to disagree, sorry

Whilst it's true that installing after windows, GRUB will set-up and overwrite on the MBR hence make it seem much easier..... what happens if GRUB mis-fires or installs wrong (which you know happens)? Then the operator will still need to re-install/fix/re-edit GRUB.

Which is really easier? I say either method. We can install either OS first. Great if GRUB sets-up well. If not, or we install windows last, it also is a easy fix.....even for beginners.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Sorry ... just my thoughts on the matter.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hence the reason I say not to install Windows in the first place. You will never have to worry about saving your Windows partition if its not there...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post

Ubuntu can recognize a windows installation but windows is clueless to anything but other windows installs. What works best is to setup the partitions you want to end up with, install windows, then linux on the remaining partitions.
    And then again, there's always "Wubi", but that occasionally misfires too....

Edit: Don't be scared to make backups of important data before making changes to your system!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by t4thfavor View Post
    Hence the reason I say not to install Windows in the first place. You will never have to worry about saving your Windows partition if its not there...

I'm about to reconfigure my test machine again (for the nth time) to simplify. I'll keep your saying in mind

Am thinking of still multi-boot....but this time sda will be Ubuntu 8.04 with virtualbox and XP (and other distros) as guest whilst sdb will be 9.04 with virtualbox and win7RC as guest. For the heck of it, I might also put Karmic in sdb to start the tweaking process.

back to the OP and his thread ......
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

When you get your system post how the setup went (or PM me). I just ordered a dv6z myself. I know nothing about the Phenom II processors and just want to know how things go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12