Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 4810T

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Acer Timeline 4810T

Everything seems to work for me 'cept the microphone, touch pad lock and the battery life is far too low and the estimation is no good.

Beans

DVD mounting problem:
    I received a fix from someone else for mounting, which is a bit better than the suspend issue and is a similar problem to the touch pad:
    Instead of using the button to open the dvdrom drive, use the console and type (without the quotes):
    "eject cdrom"

So, clearly, the problem is related to how Ubuntu is "talking" to the buttons on the Acer - both the dvd drive open button and the touchpad disable button.

This workaround is great and I am now able to play audio cd's on rythmbox without any problems.

The only problem I have encountered is when I try to eject a cd or dvd without dismounting it first - for that I have to reboot!!!!

Still haven't got dvd's to play yet - I get the message that the media is not recognised.
    I've reported a bug for this

Beans

This fix work for me with cd/dvd:

Tipe "eject cdrom" (without the quotes) in the console.

I find it here

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The touchpad switch works in karmic, so in 2 months and a week .... Karmic still has a lot of bugs to be ironed out, it's probably bet to be patient.

Do you guys have two finger scrolling yet? I managed to get it working with help of this post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is there a permanent fix for the screen brightness? I found a fix that I thought worked, but it has reverted to not working after a reboot...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can anyone confirm/disconfirm that the CD/DVD drive bug affects the latest Karmic build? I would but I'm in the middle of a big writing project and I want to avoid unstable software for the moment...

Beans

Hi All,

For the people that are interested I have done a bit of a write up about the 4810T laptop here. I'm running Debian on it but some the info there should be useful ie getting suspend and hibernate working correctly.

Beans

RE: Playing DVD's with VLC.
    To recap:
    I upgraded to karmic koala, and could get audio cd's to play using the "eject cdrom" in the console fix.
    Recently I did an update (from karmic koala) and tried again.

I could then play all region 2 dvd's (the region my dvd player has been set to), but could not play region 1 dvd's.

I have now followed the instructions from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs about installing libdvdcss.

Now everything is working perfectly. However, I have not tried to "automatically" open movies from the menus. Instead I open VLC player, and choose the option Media/Open disc.
    From the menu, where it says disc device, I have browsed and selected the mounted dvd - this automatically points to the mount point.

Hope this is of some help.

Beans

hey incompetnce,
    I was having issues with the brightness (I couldn't change it at all), and I had some issues with the networking (it was really patchy). So, I updated the kernel to 2.6.30. It's really easy, took five minutes. Here's a link: http://www.ramoonus.nl/2009/06/10/linux-kernel-2-6-30-installation-guide-for-ubuntu-and-debian-linux/ and guess what? both were fixed! I don't know if this will help, but it's stable so far so it's worth a shot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Salixman View Post
    hey incompetnce,
    I was having issues with the brightness (I couldn't change it at all), and I had some issues with the networking (it was really patchy). So, I updated the kernel to 2.6.30. It's really easy, took five minutes. Here's a link: http://www.ramoonus.nl/2009/06/10/linux-kernel-2-6-30-installation-guide-for-ubuntu-and-debian-linux/ and guess what? both were fixed! I don't know if this will help, but it's stable so far so it's worth a shot.
    Your comment here does not seem right to me as I am using '2.6.30-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Aug 15 18:09:19 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux' Kernel and my Brightness controls for backlight is still borked(not working) and I have to compile the drivers for my Ethernet.

Are you sure you not referring to 2.6.31-rcX kernels?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast