Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 4810T

Beans

Acer Timeline 4810T

I bought the acer Timeline 4810T and not work the CD/DVD recorder.

Recognized but when you insert a cd or dvd says there is no medium.
    This is the dmesg output

[ 20.210145] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
    [ 20.210190] sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
    [ 20.212379] scsi 4:0:0:0: CD-ROM TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-U633A AC01 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
    [ 20.217927] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    [ 20.217931] Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    [ 20.218017] sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
    [ 20.218057] sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
    [ 20.218702] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
    [ 20.218721] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: PCI INT D -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
    [ 20.218736] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: setting latency timer to 64
    [ 20.218740] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: EHCI Host Controller
    [ 20.218801] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1

and this when trying to mount it manually

me@me-laptop:~$ sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0
    [sudo] password for me:
    montar: no se encontro medio en /dev/sr0
    me@me-laptop:~$ sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0
    montar: no se encontro medio en /dev/sr0 [no medium found]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Acer Timeline 4810T

According to this thread most problems with the 3810T are solved by installing ubuntu 9.10 which will be released in october. It might solve your problem too.

You can get 9.10 alpha2 here. Beware, 9.10 is still in development.
    You can get 9.10 alpha3 here. Beware, 9.10 is still in development.

Edit: alpha2 has just been succeeded by alpha3
    Last edited by miegiel; July 25th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    According to this thread most problems with the 3810T are solved by installing ubuntu 9.10 which will be released in october. It might solve your problem too.
    Nice try but unfortunately the 3810t doesn't have a optical drive... so I'm not sure it will solve the problem but it could.
    Personally I bought the Timeline 4810TZ-4011 and almost everything is working very well, including wifi and fn keys. I had to install a driver for the Ethernet RJ-45 port. THe two things that refuse to work are the touchpad lock (it locks correectly but then I am not able to unlock it and have to reboot.) and the internal mic (the external mic works).

For your problem, check the integrity of the cd you used for the installation on your laptop (If you still have it).
    To do so put the cd in your drive at boot (as if you wanted to install ubuntu) and then select " Check CD for defects" or " Check the integrity of the CD" or something like that. I had an error and didin't saw it first...
    I had something like you, a kind of weird error when I eject a DVD and I was only able to read DVD's which were already in the drive before booting (otherwise it tells me there is no media in the drive) and then I check the Cd which I used to instal LinuxMint (wich is almost the same as Ubuntu) and saw there was a corrupted file.

If you have an error I think you should reinstall Ubuntu, at least I don't know any other ways...

Hope it helps and sorry for my bad english, I hope you understood me. (It isn't my first language.)

Ps. If anybody has a solution for my problems (the touchpad lock and the internal mic) I would be grateful, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OrnithO View Post
    Nice try but unfortunately the 3810t doesn't have a optical drive... so I'm not sure it will solve the problem but it could.
    Hmm ... yeah ... I should have motivated my post a bit more

My reasoning for trying the up coming ubuntu was, that sometimes new hardware isn't supported in the latest ubuntu yet, but is supported in the next ubuntu.

Personally I bought the Timeline 4810TZ-4011 and almost everything is working very well, including wifi and fn keys. I had to install a driver for the Ethernet RJ-45 port. THe two things that refuse to work are the touchpad lock (it locks correectly but then I am not able to unlock it and have to reboot.) and the internal mic (the external mic works).

Regarding the touchpad lock, there are some posts on it in the thread I mentioned above. Posts #108 #118 in the thread claim the touchpad lock works correctly in 9.10 alpha2.

Regarding the internal mic, you probably need to select which mic you want to use in the volume control pannel.

Since a few days, there is also an Acer Timeline page on the Ubuntu Documentation pages (with a link to some fixes).
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireTimeline

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm ... yeah ... I should have motivated my post a bit more

My reasoning for trying the up coming ubuntu was, that sometimes new hardware isn't supported in the latest ubuntu yet, but is supported in the next ubuntu.
    You are right I didn't tought about that

Regarding the touchpad lock, there are some posts on it in the thread I mentioned above. Posts #108 #118 in the thread claim the touchpad lock works correctly in 9.10 alpha2.
    It is a solution indeed but I prefer to have something more stable even if one small button is not working...
    If there are no other solutions, it think i will wait until october then...
    However I am getting close to something that looks like a solution (see my new thread for more info)

Regarding the internal mic, you probably need to select which mic you want to use in the volume control pannel.
    Indeed, I should have seen that but selecting HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer) in the volume control then under options I just changed Front Mic by Int Mic I don't know I could have missed that...

Thanks a lot for all the answers in such a short time.

Beans

Hey there, received my acer yesterday and I'm impressed! I had to use the libata.force=noncq thing and installed the wireless drivers but it seems to have gone well so far.

Out of the box:
    Suspend/Hibernate, Wifi, Sound, Webcam, correct resolution

Fixed:
    libata setting, installed wired ethernet driver as per wiki. CD-Rom was an odd one, wasn't showing initially and then i tapped eject during a boot and it has worked ever since (HW detection?).

Broken:
    FN keys for brightness (triggers the popup and shows 'alleged' status but doesn't actually change it - any ideas?
    The mouse lock/unlock thing is only currently solvable by suspend/wake or logout/login. Something is wrong here but I am going to play with it to see what i can do.

This is all with the 4810T (not the TG) and Ubuntu 9.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by exosyst View Post
    Broken:
    FN keys for brightness (triggers the popup and shows 'alleged' status but doesn't actually change it - any ideas?
    Yes, you can fix it. the solution is shown here.

Quote Originally Posted by exosyst View Post
    The mouse lock/unlock thing is only currently solvable by suspend/wake or logout/login. Something is wrong here but I am going to play with it to see what i can do.
    I'm also working on it. See my post.
    For now you can active the touchpad again by entering this in a terminal and your password.
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse

Beans

Thanks loads for that xrandr - i've put it into /etc/gdm/Xsession for want of a better location

I tried an xrandr command before but perhaps it was wrong. I also saw someone recommend xbacklight which also failed to work.

One thing I noticed yesterday was that bluetooth is linked to an Fn key - Any ideas on enabling it as it doesn't seem to show in dmesg either.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have this laptop, no idea on how to get internet working though

Beans

You mean wireless didnt work out of the box?

To get wired working you need to follow the steps on the community help wiki here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireTimeline/Fixes

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast