• v2.6.30.3/ 25-Jul-2009 12:38
    • v2.6.30.4/ 31-Jul-2009 12:40
    • v2.6.30.5/ 17-Aug-2009 12:09

see also : http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Acer Timeline 4810T

Thanks everyone for this thread. I have been able to get all the functions of my 4810tz to work with the following issues remaining:

Touchpad on/off button. No big deal here, I can wait for 9.10

Multi-Touch - Really wish I could get this to work as my palm keeps hitting the scroll up section of the pad and it is getting annoying.

Random lockups... For some reason I have had to hard power it off three times now. This is always during heavy Wireless use.

Pause during grub startup. Right after it shows what disk is booting and says "Starting Up" there is a 5-10 second pause.

No big problems here. I'm hoping 9.10 will be perfect for this laptop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TwiceOver View Post
    Thanks everyone for this thread. I have been able to get all the functions of my 4810tz to work with the following issues remaining:

Multi-Touch - Really wish I could get this to work as my palm keeps hitting the scroll up section of the pad and it is getting annoying.

Random lockups... For some reason I have had to hard power it off three times now. This is always during heavy Wireless use.

Pause during grub startup. Right after it shows what disk is booting and says "Starting Up" there is a 5-10 second pause.

I upgraded to (64 bit) Karmic (alpha 3 I believe) the other day on my 5810T in hopes of solving some (relatively minor) problems, including some of the above. Very smooth upgrade, no difficulties. I've experienced no lockups. As for the problems:

Hibernation and suspension now work, though about half the time I have to restart compiz after the wake up. (I simply stuck a custom application launcher on the panel so can do that with a single click.)

The brightness hotkey now works, although this required adding "nomodeset" to the boot parameters. The hotkey often ceases to work after waking up from hibernation or suspension but can be resurrected from a terminal with the command
    Code:
    xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    which I've simply aliased to "br".

The touchpad on/off key still does not work properly for me; it successfully deactivates the touchpad but pushing it again does not reactivate it. As with brightness, it can be reactivated from the command line:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse
    And again I've added an appropriate alias.

I am still unable to get the cd/dvd drive to read a cd/dvd that I put into the drive. I have to say: How hard can this be? Evidently harder than I think.

Anyway, overall some reasonably good improvements for the Acer line with Karmic, esp considering it is still alpha. Hopefully we can look forward to more in the release version.

TexLogic

Beans

I am so happy to find this thread. I was able to fix the wired network problem

But I still have a strange problem with my wireless network. Whenever I go to suspend mode and come back, I lost the wireless connection. Only way for me to bring it back was to reboot.

Did anyone else experienced the same symptom?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TwiceOver View Post

To get around the hard power off when your machine locks up all you have to is this:
    While holding down Alt + SysRq (print screen key) type R E I S U B

Refer to this link for more info

Beans

-
    Last edited by tty; September 6th, 2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Wrong thread - should have been 3810T

Beans

Hello ,

Just brought a 4810T Core 2 Solo SU3500 last Friday an playing around with it this week end

I started the windows installation just to flash the laptop to the latest 1.28 bios
    and checked the hardware. (You can do that also without windows)

Downloaded the Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 5 32 Bits and created a USB startup disk with the ISO.

Removed everything on the disk and installed Ubuntu with default partition's.

A full update of the Ubuntu as been done after.

I don't have changed the BIOS parameter for the disk to IDE, as by default is AHCI
    and I have no problem whit that on my Hitachi 320 Gigas.

Working out of the box :
    Wifi, Bluetooth, Video card, Sound, Touch pad, sensor key's and FN, Gnome Power save (CPU scaling),DVD, Batterie indicator, Lan Gigabit, USB, WEB CAM.

Not tested :
    Card reader.

Not working for the moment for me :
    -Microphone recording.
    -FN key for brightness , it work but Ubuntu stop responding !
    I put my preferred setup in /etc/rc.local -> setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=50
    -Suspend some time work another time not.
    -Button for disabling the touch pad work but you never get it back

Comments :
    Compiz Fusion run smoothly on this machine, performance are very good for this
    tiny laptop and is running very cold and without noise. Cairo Dock run very good
    in OpenGL mode.

Tips:
    I added Firefox flash blocker to increase batteries life and decrease CPU load
    Changed the default fonts for X and Firefox using truetype freetype and Msttcorefonts.

I'm very happy with my choice , a nice laptop for running Linux on it !

Regards.
    Pat.
    Last edited by Migou67; September 14th, 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have a problem with my wireless connection.

I already did the correct setup for my wired Ethernet but then my wireless is not present.

Only a) localhost, and b) eth0 show up when i do
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Laptop: Asus A8LE,Intel dual core T2370 1.7Mhz,DDR2 1GB,Atheros 5007EG,Xubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Migou67 View Post
    -FN key for brightness , it work but Ubuntu stop responding !
    Same here, it's because of the BIOS update :S

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Arlanthir View Post
    Same here, it's because of the BIOS update :S
    Good to know. I'll pass on the new BIOS then It would be nice if acer supplied some more information on what's changed with their BIOSes.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast