Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 9.04 System Freezes

Beans

Re: New 9.04 System Freezes

what is system 76?

Beans
    Hidden!

System 76 is a company, based in Denver, Colorado, USA; who manufacturers computers with Ubuntu installed.

You can see their line of computers at http://www.system76.com/

This sub forum is for people who own System76 computers, just like the Dell sub forum is for people who own Dell computers.

As a part of their continuing support for their customers, System76 maintains a driver package in their knowledge base which provides updates and patches specifically for System76 computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    If that doesn't work, shut your computer down the next time it freezes. Then restart it and go *immediately* to System > Administration > System76 Driver > Support (tab) > Create (button). This will create an archive called logs.tar in your home directory. Please attach that archive to this thread.

Also, please give a little more detail about the freeze.
    New freeze today. I've had my PC on for days (weeks?) with no problems. I haven't turned it off or rebooted. I've been busy online, I had a couple of Firefox browser windows open and I was responding to a post on my favorite parenting message board, and the computer froze mid-sentence.

I could still move the mouse around the screen, but nothing else. I couldn't click anything, couldn't close anything. When I pushed the power button to turn the PC off, it wouldn't turn off until I held it in for a few seconds.

I'm attaching a new tars.log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Angry Re: New 9.04 System Freezes

I installed ubuntu 9.04 yesterday using Wubi installed inside XP. It worked fine till yesterday night. But today morning it undergone an update of some 400 MB and after reboot, the system operated for few minutes. I opened the firefox and tried to install plugins for Video (Adobe shockwave) in the browser. But suddenly the mouse was stucked and nothing is worked. It seems as it freezed . What exactly the problem I don't Know.. Hope someone can find a solution for this issue!...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm not seeing much in your logs. Do you have an ATI graphics card in your Ratel?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    I'm not seeing much in your logs. Do you have an ATI graphics card in your Ratel?
    I did a "sudo lshw" to get a list of what's in the computer, and then I word-searched "ATI" and nothing came up. When I do a search for the word "graphic," this is what comes up:

description: VGA compatible controller
    product: 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller

I haven't opened the tower, so whatever is in there is what came with the PC when it was shipped in June.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK. Let's take this one to email so I can look up your configuration. Please email me directly at support...at...system76...dot...com.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm pretty sure there is something in 9.04 (after various updates) that broke for some people, I've heard of the freezing system glitch more as time went on. I know I had it.

9.10 has been a dream for my Pangolin, if you are willing to give a beta a try, download, burn and livecd it.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Hidden!

To ExpressNature: Hello, I see from your profile that you are new to this forum. This forum is divided into sub-forum for people with special problems. The sub-forum where you have posted your problem is for people who own computers made by System 76. Because System76 computers come with Ubuntu pre-installed, very few of their owners would be using WUBI.

I am guessing that is why nobody has offered you any help in four days. I saw your post, but because I have never used WUBI, I could not make any suggestions.

Are you still having problems? If you are, I suggest you start a new thread in a different sub-forum.

If you go to this page of the forum http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326 click the New Thread button near the top of the page and post your problem there. you may get some help.

We could also help you better if you told us a little bit more about your computer. What kind of a computer is it? Did you have only XP on it before you tried to install WUBI? After the computer froze, were you still able to re-boot into XP? Did you post your problem from the same computer, or did you have to use a different computer to contact us?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Is anyone in this thread running Miro?

I was running the 2.0 branch, and having performance problems. I was getting a system load of 12! It was crazy.

If you are running Miro, try upgrading to the 2.5 version via a separate repo: http://www.getmiro.com

Just a quick observation of mine.

Amy
    about|blog|twitter
    Machines: custom built desktop (Ubuntu and Windows 7), Macbook Air

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast