Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Jaunty and HP TX2000 touchscreen

Beans

Ubuntu Jaunty and HP TX2000 touchscreen

Hi all,

I'm struggling with getting my touchscreen to work on a Hewlett packard TX2000 series laptop (actually tx2530ea), running Ubuntu 9.04

I've been following the instructions posted at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5469447; but at the step

sudo cp ./src/2.6.24/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

I get that the message:
    cp: cannot stat `./src/2.6.27/wacom.ko': No such file or directory

Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu Jaunty and HP TX2000 touchscreen

Hi kevuk,

That's because the kernel in Jaunty is newer, 2.6.28, which is why the command is failing. Which turns out to be a good thing. You need to go to gali98's updated HOW TO for Jaunty. Read Jaunty Users near the top here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1038949 And follow the link in 1) to his HOW TO on post #104.

Hope this helps &

Good luck1

Beans

Sorry, that post is too technical for me.

However - It Works! And I'm not sure how?

I can now point and click/double click with my stylus on the touchscreen; although the alignment is quite a way out - so can anyone tell me how to realign where I touch on the screen with what is being projected on the screen? At the moment, if I click on the bottom right, I just about get the tabs on a maximised firefox screen.

At some point in the instructions the command
    "xinput --list" is mentionned, this brings up:

"Wacom ISDv4 93" id=6 [XExtensionPointer]
    Num_buttons is 32
    Num_axes is 2
    Mode is Absolute
    Motion_buffer is 256
    Axis 0 :
    Min_value is 0
    Max_value is 26212
    Resolution is 10000
    Axis 1 :
    Min_value is 0
    Max_value is 16420
    Resolution is 10000
    "

Any help most appreciated

Beans
    Distro

Hi kevuk,

Sorry to hear that. I think if you look through gali98's HOW TO a few times you'll find it isn't that technical. Just follow the instructions step by step and copy and paste the lines into a terminal. Make sure each line is correct and hit return after each one if needed.

This header line tells you what's going on:
    Code:
    "Wacom ISDv4 93" id=6 [XExtensionPointer]
    [XExtensionPointer] means your digitizer is being seen as a mouse rather than a tablet.

"Wacom ISDv4 93" is what HAL is calling your stylus. And eraser and touch are not even being seen. This is because the new "10-wacom.fdi" file in Section 2 of the HOW TO is not installed.

That means that "wacomcpl" (the linuxwacom calibration and configuration gui) will not work. So you cannot calibrate your digitizer. You could go to step 3 in Jaunty Users and either use rec's script or rename the linuxwacom names in the xsetwacom commands for .xinitrc (the hidden file wacomcpl uses). That may allow you to use wacomcpl and calibrate. But you would still be calibrating a mouse that lacks the eraser and touch. So I don't advise this. And really either of these methods are as "technical" as the HOW TO.

I hope this explanation is useful.

Beans

It is indeed.

Very bashfully, yes those instructions did work this time. Previous attempts gave me various error messages, but I'm now got a touchscreen.

Many thanks, both for your patience and your initial work on solving this.

Can I be a cheeky newbie and ask if somewhere on the fifty pages of that thread, someone has sorted out how to make the button on the side of the stylus work (= right click on MS)? Also is there a way of getting an eraser function?

Also wacomcpl brings up an empty device list?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by kevuk; July 11th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Beans

Ok, I've redone some more of the steps and now got wacomcpl working - is there any guide as to what these options mean? I can't get the stylus working for the side button or eraser still?

Beans
    Distro

Hi kevuk,

Great! Nice job.

While you can add the stylus button to the .fdi (and yes it's buried in there a few places) usually we use wacomcpl to configure the stylus button. Because the device list in wacomcpl is empty, it is likely that you haven't installed the 10-wacom.fdi correctly.

So using this command in a terminal:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-wacom.fdi
    Make sure it exactly matches at least the .fdi glai98 has in Section 2. Notice the sliders on the "code" box and that some of the .fdi is out of view. Make sure all of it is copied and pasted. And that it is the only thing in the file. Then save and close and reboot. All of the configuration options gali98 shows you in the .fdi in Section 3 can be done through wacomcpl.

If the original default Jaunty 10-wacom.fdi is still there you can back it up before you replace it with gali98's .fdi by doing this first:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-wacom.fdi /home/yourusername/Desktop/10-wacom.bak
    Where yourusername is the user name you are using. (nice phrase, eh?)

The eraser is a seperate issue. It only works in programs designed to detect it like Gimp and Inkscape. See near the bottom of: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom In Xournal the stylus button is the eraser.

Edit: Oh, right. A little more on wacomcpl in Section 3 of the HOW TO on the first page: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1038949
    Last edited by Favux; July 11th, 2009 at 08:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi kevuk,

Oops! I just noticed you beat me to the punch. In wacomcpl click on stylus and go to Tool Buttons. Button 2 is the stylus button (Button 1 is the stylus tip). Choose what you want Button 2 to be, usually a right (which would be a 3 in the .fdi) mouse click. Hit OK.

Beans

Thanks again, issues are tumbling down!

Ok - so far I have a functioning digitizer on which I can apply both left and right clicks with varying sensitivity (tested on GIMP). I'm also using cellwriter to enter handwriting.

Two very minor issues remain:
    1) Cellwriter - how do differentiate o, O and 0?
    2) How do you change the orientation of the screen when you turn the laptop into a slate? Windows does it automatically (sometimes...), while linux ignores both the rotate button and the rotation of the screen?

Beans
    Distro

Hi kevuk,

Yep, you're definitely getting there!

You have to train CellWriter. There are some tips on the CellWriter page: http://risujin.org/cellwriter/ And: http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/120867

To rotate you need the Rotation HOW TO. There was a link at the bottom of Section 3, the wacomcpl section. It's here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996830 Method 1 or 3 should work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast