Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall, CLI, Firestarter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Firewall, CLI, Firestarter

Hi All, Am really loving Jaunty... So far, so good. Have a question about Firewall though. Does Jaunty have a 'built-in' firewall ?

I usually use Firestarter because it has a very nice GUI visual-aid, BUT it seems to be that whenever I have CLI installed, Firestarter crashes almost every other second ! What ways can I beef-up my system to prevent the hits and / or Firestarter crashing so much ?

Whenever I 'Lock' Firestarter, I then cannot get out to anywhere...

I don't really know where to start to become a 'security expert' for my
    PC ! I don't really know how to configure Beagle... (Sorry, I thought Beagle used to be a Firewall Program... It must have been GuardDog I was thinking of.) All leads to information appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by lotusalive; July 10th, 2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: about 'Lock'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Firewall, CLI, Firestarter

The built-in firewall is called IPTables. Firestarter is just a way to configure and monitor it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lotusalive View Post
    Hi All, Am really loving Jaunty... So far, so good. Have a question about Firewall though. Does Jaunty have a 'built-in' firewall ?

I usually use Firestarter because it has a very nice GUI visual-aid, BUT it seems to be that whenever I have CLI installed, Firestarter crashes almost every other second ! What ways can I beef-up my system to prevent the hits and / or Firestarter crashing so much ?

PC ! I don't really know how to configure Beagle... All leads to information appreciated. Thanks.
    All Linux distros have a built in firewall called iptables/netfilter. Firestarter is just one GUI amongst many for configuring iptables. In Ubuntu you can use ufw (command line) and gufw (the gui) for configuring your firewall.

Beans
    Distro

Well that helps ! Thanks whole.grains and ibutho... What if I were to try ARPtables or ebtables ? Can I make a real mess, or can I 'mesh' and 'maze' them ? lol... I'm also going to try 'guarddog' but don't really understand the configuration requirements for firewalls...
    Last edited by lotusalive; July 10th, 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

PC
    If I were you, I'd start here reading the stickies at the top of the forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=338

Beans
    Distro

Thanks oldos2er, I will read. The 'Security Discussions' threads are thicker than I can wade through, and seem more for 'admins.'

I'm gonna try to do bodhi.zazen's thread on 'mod evasive' and 'mod ...' and see if that stops the crashing.
    Last edited by lotusalive; July 10th, 2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

PC ! I don't really know how to configure Beagle... (Sorry, I thought Beagle used to be a Firewall Program... It must have been GuardDog I was thinking of.) All leads to information appreciated. Thanks.
    Install ufw (uncomplicated firewall) and it's GUI, Gufw. You can toggle and configure your firewall easily and quickly.

~Bill
    Ubuntu 10.04-Server: HP Pavilion: AMD Athlon 3200; 2gb RAM; GeForce4 MX - nForce; 160gb HDD; 1TB eSATA External HDD | Ubuntu 10.04: Dell D600; Intel Pentium M 1600 MHz; 2gb RAM; ATI Radeon 9000 (RV250); 60gb HD | Ubuntu User #24614

Beans
    Distro

Thanks MrWes ! Silly me, I did not understand what ibutho was intending for me ! I'll give it go !

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Firewall, CLI, Firestarter

Before I got much chance to pursue this strengthening of iptables, ufw, gufw, Firestarter, I had another, my 2nd PC Sys Crash in Jaunty, AGAIN upon a required restart after downloads from Synaptics Pkg Mgr.

This crash, I have no clue WHY it happened, but root suddenly could not be found by grub, and my log-in screen became several purple and green Ubuntu logos across the top of the screen, and 4 one-inch black & white horizontal lines across the bottom half of the screen. The only 'fails' I noticed in the boot log were 'Firestarter' and 'dnsmasq,' the latter of which it claimed was not even installed, yet I had just chosen it as a preference. I was able to access root for awhile through the 8.04 'Rescue System' shell, and I even was able to remove 'Firestarter' that way... I went back to Hardy Heron 8.04 Encrypted x86_64, while attempting to rescue my system, but hard to believe, Firestarter is STILL crashing almost every other second !

Before my crash last night, I was getting ready to try the 6-command instructions for an 'Almost Perfect Firewall,' for Jaunty, from one of the members here.

All suggestions, as always, greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by lotusalive; July 12th, 2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: system version

Beans

Maybe you've made a mess of conflicting firewall software?
    If so, it might be easier clean install ontop? So far as semi-easy to configure + advanced at once, I think firehol is decent.

othwerwise, it sounds like you might have had a disk failure of some kind, at least if you get a GRUB error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast