Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firewall, CLI, Firestarter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Firewall, CLI, Firestarter

I DID remove ebtables and arptables, both, before the crash, lol, realizing, I'd gone the wrong direction, never touched them, except to install and uninstall on the next look.

I do wonder though if perhaps my root partition was large enough at 10MB, since I do have so much fun just loading and looking at software ! Should I make it 20MB next time? Is that the more standard size for root ?
    Last edited by lotusalive; July 12th, 2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lotusalive View Post
    I do wonder though if perhaps my root partition was large enough at 10MB, since I do have so much fun just loading and looking at software ! Should I make it 20MB next time? Is that the more standard size for root ?
    20 GiB of disk space for / is much more appropriate if you're going to be downloading lots of software. 10 GiB is fine, but 20 is almost limitless.

If this is a home computer, you don't need to install the most powerful firewall configurators around. Just install Gufw, tell it to block everything incoming, and forget about it until you need to let ports in.

If you already have a firewall in your ADSL/cable router then you don't even need to configure your IPtables firewall - your whole network will already be protected by the router.

Also, I tend not to recommend Firestarter - it's a little confusing, and the log viewer alarms a lot of people ("Oh my god, hackers are trying to connect to my computer, I can see it happening in Firestarter, what do I do?"). Whenever Firestarter is installed and not turned on, I seem to have problems with incoming ports not being accessible, and those problems don't go away by merely removing Firestarter as all FS does is create IPtables rules.

If you have complex security requirements, then I'm sure Firestarter is good and handy; but for personal use you can't go past Gufw.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks all for all the info ! Yes, we did just switch from DSL to Cable HSI, (although I'm not sure if it really is installed that way, and am currently working at using the cd (through wine) to show me that it actually IS installed that way.) Maybe that is why Firestarter (FS) is just unnecessary for me... I just liked the visual security of FS, 'knowing' I wasn't being 'hacked,' as that seemed such a great problem in v-word...

I'll use this install until it limits me too much or has a crash, or offers an auto upgrade (lol) !, and then I'll worry about repartitioning again. I've always wanted a dual-boot, at least for the past 8 months or so, but have been too busy to really sit-down and read to figure it out...

I always partition my Ubuntu installs with this order, hoping I'll get to it: 40GiB ntfs, 2GiB swap, /, home, freespace

but when I insert the W's install disk, it just won't finish installing itself... And once this became a Linux HD box, it would never go back to installing W's... (only reason is I need to upgrade my Graphics Card.) So, one of these days I'm going to have to look at and work on the 'hard-way' (tricky) of installing W's post-Ubuntu, har ! (All just for 'fun' !) I've learned to store everything on USB's, except my installs, lol, but I'll get there...

Thanks again !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In fact, for personal use, if you are behind a router, I wouldn't worry about the firewall at all. I have a network of 8-10 boxen behind nothing but a router. No worries.
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuntu user!
    Registered Linux User #386750

chown -R us base

Beans
    Distro

Re: Firewall, CLI, Firestarter, Synaptic Restart Sys Crash

Thanks for the router info... I'm just really wondering how I have managed to crash Jaunty installs TWICE in the past month, on restart from Synaptics downloads...

Beans
    Distro

I'm back in Jaunty 9.04, missed the nice new features too much !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12