Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TrueCrypt - how to "Dismount" even if device is in use ?

credobyte is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: TrueCrypt - how to "Dismount" even if device is in use ?

Quote Originally Posted by regala View Post
    a filesystem code doesn't speak "documents and similar stuff". it speaks filesystem integrity for one thing, and, as every other code in kernel space, keeping a running system stable. if you really want to remove it, remove it physically by hand, but don't expect the kernel to do destructive things or even enabling you to do it thru its code
    Oh, yeah .. physically removing my HDD would take at least 10 minutes ( instead of 10-30 seconds from my Terminal window )
    Anyway, thanks a lot to everyone - problem solved !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by credobyte View Post
    Oh, yeah .. physically removing my HDD would take at least 10 minutes ( instead of 10-30 seconds from my Terminal window )
    Anyway, thanks a lot to everyone - problem solved !
    „Problem solved!”, yet no solution named.

Similar problem: can't unmount a darn volume, even though there is no way something really uses it.

fuser -m /home/abd/abd
    outputs:
    /home/abd/abd: 23468c
    And 23058 is just the xterm I use to input fuser command, which is confirmed by lsof:
    abd@ubayd:~$ lsof /home/abd/abd/
    COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    konsole 23468 abd cwd DIR 251,2 4096 2 /home/abd/abd

This drives me mad. I want this unmounted, and readily unmounted any time I need it unmounted in the future, ANY time. How can I achieve that, if even --force doesn't work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Abdus View Post
    Similar problem: can't unmount a darn volume, even though there is no way something really uses it.

fuser -m /home/abd/abd
    outputs:
    /home/abd/abd: 23468c
    And 23058 is just the xterm I use to input fuser command, which is confirmed by lsof:
    abd@ubayd:~$ lsof /home/abd/abd/
    COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    konsole 23468 abd cwd DIR 251,2 4096 2 /home/abd/abd

This drives me mad. I want this unmounted, and readily unmounted any time I need it unmounted in the future, ANY time. How can I achieve that, if even --force doesn't work?
    In my case the problem was caused by KDE, which locked the directory the truecrypt volume was mounted into (/home/ab/abd/), because the directory was set in KDE settings as "Documents folder". As soon as I changed the Document folder to somewhere else the truecrypt volume could be unmounted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12