Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a Ubuntu Netbook

Beans

Re: Making a Ubuntu Netbook

Quote Originally Posted by b3n87 View Post
    Just because it comes with a free OS doesnt mean it needs to be cheaper.
    They need to feel they pay for something. I love Ubuntu for what its worth, but it is not a operating system that gives you the same feeling (of value) as buying a computer with OS X or Windows preinstalled. For several reasons, looks being of the greatest. And nothing is wrong with that, we all know its free. But the same audience i talked about before, want something expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by b3n87 View Post
    But don't worry too much about my business model
    You are very sure of your own businessmodel, but you haven't even checked the obvious yet.
    This seems pretty halfhearted.

Beans

I am exploring a similar idea. Although, I want to make it as cheap as possible. I have found many manufacturers in China that are manufacturing netbooks and making them available with Windows CE. I would replace Windows CE with Ubuntu and create a new interface. The primary purpose of this netbook will be for kids learning and play. Here are the features I am thinking about:

256 MB RAM
    8GB solid state flash storage
    Ubuntu OS
    Lot of software for kids
    Enthernet port with or without wireless access
    2-3 USB ports
    7" display for the basic netbook
    stereo audio
    optional webcam (built-in)

I want to price it around 100 USD although it is not for US market, but for the Indian market.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by manojd View Post
    I am exploring a similar idea. Although, I want to make it as cheap as possible. I have found many manufacturers in China that are manufacturing netbooks and making them available with Windows CE. I would replace Windows CE with Ubuntu and create a new interface. The primary purpose of this netbook will be for kids learning and play. Here are the features I am thinking about:

256 MB RAM
    Ubuntu OS
    Lot of software for kids
    2-3 USB ports
    stereo audio

I want to price it around 100 USD although it is not for US market, but for the Indian market.

Thanks.
    I'll keep you posted on my findings. No such luck so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you guys wouldn't mind not using an Intel Atom you should look into Xcore86, they produce a SOC which runs at I believe 1.0ghz. You can find more information about them by googling Edubook.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by manojd View Post

256 MB RAM
    Ubuntu OS
    Lot of software for kids
    2-3 USB ports
    stereo audio

Thanks.
    Isn't that incredibly ambitious? Considering the 1 laptop per child project laptop isn't even $100.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12