Thread: Ubuntu on a Flash Drive

Beans

Ubuntu on a Flash Drive

I've heard a lot about running Ubuntu from a flash drive, but there are several methods I've seen and I'm not sure about the potential and limits of each. I'm looking for a way to plug in the flash drive to a public computer, turn on the computer, boot Ubuntu from the flash drive, and work in Ubuntu just as I do on my own computer, preferably with my files and some programs I'd install. Is this possible? If so, what's it called?

Also, what size flash drive would I need for this? Ubuntu on my computer takes up around 13 GB, I believe, but I've read about people running Ubuntu from a 4 or 8 GB flash drive. o_O

Thanks in advanced!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu on a Flash Drive

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

it should also be noted that the owners/managers of ANY equipment be consulted with respect to utilizing their devices with "walk-in" and therefore "unknown" software

I don't imagine many would welcome that activity

FYI

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

this would be a permanent install

the only limitation i guess is the life cycle of your pendrive, i am not sure how many times you can write on it, depending on memory type it can be 10.000 or 100.000 writes/reads

Beans

Thanks for your help guys!

Btw, would this be the same as your (mano's) link, but to install 9.04? It seems to have the same results, but the instructions are clearly different. Or can I just follow mano's link but install 9.04?

Also, why can Ubuntu be installed on a 2 GB flash drive? Isn't Ubuntu much larger than that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i guess the main diffrence is wheter u install it from windows or from an Ubuntu live cd