Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Symbolic Links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Symbolic Links

Quote Originally Posted by krippa View Post
    This seems like it should be a top priority but the new Ubuntu one client in Lucid still doesn't support this!

I have my docs, pictures etc. on a partition separate from my home folder so it seems I am completely out of luck.. And I was even thinking of getting 50GB subscription for my photos. For now I am stuck with Dropbox..

Symlinks ASAP please!

Does anyone know if symlink support is planned?
    We don't currently have plans to add symlink support. We do provide a way to right-click on a folder in your home folder and synchronize that folder, but don't support symlinks.

Thank you,

Joshua

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by krippa View Post
    This seems like it should be a top priority but the new Ubuntu one client in Lucid still doesn't support this!

I have my docs, pictures etc. on a partition separate from my home folder so it seems I am completely out of luck.. And I was even thinking of getting 50GB subscription for my photos. For now I am stuck with Dropbox..

Symlinks ASAP please!

Does anyone know if symlink support is planned?
    For me "/home/mpg/Ubuntu One" is a symlink and I think that works, but symlinks inside the Ubuntu One folder don't work...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by RealG187 View Post
    For me "/home/mpg/Ubuntu One" is a symlink and I think that works, but symlinks inside the Ubuntu One folder don't work...
    With this solution can you still only add folders within your home directory to be synced or any folder on the partition that is symlinked?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

I found out another way to synchronize any folder on *any* partition (I only have ext partitions so I dont know if it will work with ntfs etc.).

For various reasons I dont want to mount my "file store"-partition in my home folder directly, I want it at /media/hd. What I then did was edit my fstab file to create a "binding" (similiar to mount) of some of these folders to my home directory which Ubuntu One then lets me synchronize by right-clicking in Nautilus.

Here's what I did for my pictures folder:
    Edit my /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    After the existing mount, I added a bind entry:
    Code:
    UUID=49af66cc-3eab-4d0a-b5a6-e1e18b926b47 /media/hd       ext3    defaults        0       2
    /media/hd/Pictures /home/kristofer/Pictures       none    bind        0       0
    Then you have to create /home/kristofer/Pictures and remount drives with:
    Code:
    sudo mount -a

Beans

I've been waiting for this feature since the inital launch. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. Does anyone know of a similar service that can handle symlinks?

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, dropbox does support symlinks and also sync between OS:es, public sharing etc. It does not directly support syncing settings of apps but if you know symlinking you can probably manage that too.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Symbolic Links

Quote Originally Posted by lodp View Post
    wouldn't it take ages for all the applications to support that?

also, it's not just application data that many people like to backup and sync - it's also documents and other stuff that resides somewhere in a folder structure outside the ubuntu one folder, and symlinks would be great for that.

I'm planning to do this with dropbox for the time being -- does anybody know whether there's an inherent problem with symlinking application data into a synced folder (and if so, is that why ubuntu one doesn't support it)?
    Ubuntu One doesn't support Symbolic Links because people would backup their mysql folders and possibly root =P, I imagine they are worried about data traffic and have probably specifically excluded symbolic links (they would have had to as to an application unless attributes are checked, a symlink appears as a regular folder / files)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by onecsguy View Post
    Ubuntu One doesn't support Symbolic Links because people would backup their mysql folders and possibly root =P, I imagine they are worried about data traffic and have probably specifically excluded symbolic links (they would have had to as to an application unless attributes are checked, a symlink appears as a regular folder / files)
    If I really wanted to do that, I could very easily save mysql root dir to the ubuntu directory.

It's a shame they are not doing sym links though - losing a customer here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Well it's nearly 2013 and I just got hit in the head with a brick: Ubuntu One still doesn't let you sync anything outside your home directory or support symlinks. It's effectively useless unless you're the least common denominator type user who doesn't even know what a symlink or partition is. I can barely believe it, but there it is. *facepalm*
    Kevin Fishburne, Eight Virtues
    www: http://eightvirtues.com
    e-mail: sales@eightvirtues.com
    phone: (770) 853-6271

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

4 years have passed, and the Ubuntu One team still does not understand why Dropbox is more successful.
    It is SO EASY in Dropbox to make a link to some data/settings and have it backed up. You don't have to think.

Also I like to have a little ecryptfs on there, and I need a link to a directory outside my home, not to the folder in Ubuntu One (which is a popular workaround) because you cannot mount ecryptfs (custom) from within ecryptfs (default encrypted home).

Of course, a typical developer would argue "you can work around this, you can share additional folders, you can specify the location on other computers, etc"

But:
    • You have to sit down and think how to tackle your specific problem.
    • You cannot easily specify the location of a new synced directory on a machine without the control panel (deamon only)
    • You would have to remove the existing local target application folder and store the U1 folder in the new location.
    • This folder will first sync completely (new computer), and then you have to move it out of home and you have to wait again (e.g. encrypted home -> non-encrypted share)
    • "Please choose a folder inside your "/home/redsandro" directory, and not overlapping with any existing cloud folder."

Ubuntu One is giving me acid reflux.

Why waste time postponing ways to handle this (i.e. ignore symlinks) when there is a perfectly fine POSIX equivalent of symbolic links developed in the '60s?

Quote Originally Posted by lodp View Post
    It seems eminently useful for backing up / syncing application data (knotes is a good example, but I'd also like to use it for thunderbird, firefox, korganizer and such)
    Last edited by Redsandro; March 5th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Windows 7 for Media Production, Ubuntu 12.04/Cinnamon for other work.
    Xubuntu 12.04 as Media Center, CentOS 5.6 as server.
    Linux Mint on my casual laptop, Maemo 5 on my Nokia N900.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12