Thread: I need some help

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb I need some help

I want to look up my motherboard so I can install Linux coreboot to replace my bios and was wondering how do I do that.

Beans

Re: I need some help

Like every decent manufacturer does, a name brand should exist on the case of your computer. After that, there should be some kind of model number. If your system is custom built, then you may need to open up your computer. If you have a technical person you frequently work with, he or she may have specifications on your machine. (It could be out of friendship or potential profit. Either way, good technicians commonly do that.) After that, you can visit the manufacturer's site for the BIOS upgrade software.

Beans
    Distro

Well it is a laptop Gateway M305CRV. When I go to the Gateway website it does not tell me. It has a Pentium 4M 2.2Ghz. I even tried looking up the phoenix BIOS upgrade and got squat that is why I was wanting to find it so I could use the Linux core boot to replace my BIOS.

Beans

The manufacturer's part number (or model number) for your system's main board appears to be 310A5MB0015. Several sites sell the main board, including eBay. I think the main board comes from Intel as a third-party contributor to Gateway. I use to work with their equipment when analyzing their firmware and processor combinations. It's quite interesting how they splash chemicals across electronics.
    Last edited by shatterblast; July 10th, 2009 at 01:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Oh really anything the average buyer like myself should be aware of.

Beans

Not really. I just brought it up as a conversation piece. Nothing dangerous.