Hi Guys,
Linux noob here, but I have been scouring the forums and trying stuff for hours. If this is a repeat please direct me to the right thread and sorry for the trouble!

I have Hardy installed on my Satellite P205D with the Atheros wireless card (let me know if I need to supply a model number). Fresh off the install, it appeared to have installed atheros drivers and let me enter a menu to configure a wireless network manually, but it doesn't see any. Last night I had Jaunty installed and it saw 20+ networks. I switched down to Hardy because of the lovely ATI video issues. See, I've read that much hehe.

Anyhow I installed wicd and it doesn't see any wireless networks either. I have the madwifi-0.9.4 copied to my hard drive but I'm so noob all my attempts to install fail miserably. It's on my desktop and extracted to a folder, but I'm not clear on installing it.

Am I on the right path? I disabled the apparently existing drivers in System -> Administration -> Hardware drivers, then re-enabled. No effect.

This place is a veritable bounty of information and I'm grateful for it, and any help you might have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

verbus
(long time pc builder and windows expert, former ccna, but i don't speak linux yet!)