Thread: Jaunty, ATI 4870 and Catalyst freezing in 3D games

Beans

Jaunty, ATI 4870 and Catalyst freezing in 3D games

I have a problem with my ATI 4870 card, games and Catalyst drivers. I tried 9.5 and 9.6 versions with last 3-4 kernel updates, no matter what 3D game I run, after 5-20 minutes of playing my system freezes and I got checkered screen (like on a picture; it's from PlaneShift, but ANY other relatively GPU-intensive 3D game gives me the same). The only thing I can do after that is reset. The card is working in all games perfectly under XP, so it's not hardware malfunction. Does anyone have this problem and is there a solution? I really want to try and play games under Linux, but playing for 5 minutes and restarting computer all the time isn't much fun... The rest of comp specs: ASUS P5B Deluxe, Intel E6750, 2GB Ram, enough space on HD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zzarko; July 8th, 2009 at 04:07 PM.

Beans

Re: Jaunty, ATI 4870 and Catalyst freezing in 3D games

I dunno zarko that looks like video memory errors or gpu overheating to me. Perhaps try monitoring your vid cards fan speed with your case open to see if the fan is slowing, failing to increase speed with increasing temp or stopped. You might wanna see if theres a bios update for that vid cards bios as well. I run two 4850's in crossfire with 9.6 drivers with no issues at all on Jaunty. BTW here is a vid card bios database you can check for bios updates for your card http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ .
    Last edited by learners permit; July 20th, 2009 at 07:29 AM.

Beans

Re: Jaunty, ATI 4870 and Catalyst freezing in 3D games

Thanks for the advice, I'll check to se if the fan is increasing the speed. I'll see about the BIOS. But, as I said, the card is working flawlessly in XP (5-6 hours of constant playing without errors), so I don't think it's hardware. I use XP only for gaming, but I want to use it less, even for that...