Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unanswered Posts Vs Unreplied Posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Unanswered Posts Vs Unreplied Posts

The Unanswered Posts button on top of all forums is misleading. It should read instead as Unreplied Posts. Truth is, a reply is not an answer. I have unanswered questions that'll never show up under that button because they have at least been replied too. the chances of getting a real answer is depth to the power of oblivion and that sucks. please implement a real Unanswered Posts button as soon as time permits.

Thank you for your consideration!

Beans

Re: Unanswered Posts Vs Unreplied Posts

I agree. We already have a "thread solved" function, alltough it's not very visible.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by olejorgen View Post
    I agree. We already have a "thread solved" function, alltough it's not very visible.
    It should be right at the top:

Solved - Thread Tools - Search this Thread - Display Modes

people would tend to use it more.

But don't know if that's possible with vBulliten

Beans

If a questions gets responses, but isn't solved, it makes it hard for members of the Unanswered Posts Team to do our job. Several thoughts about this were thrown around, no solutions so far to this problem.

If you post looks like it is being ignored because it looks solved, bump it after a given period of time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    If a questions gets responses, but isn't solved, it makes it hard for members of the Unanswered Posts Team to do our job. Several thoughts about this were thrown around, no solutions so far to this problem.

If you post looks like it is being ignored because it looks solved, bump it after a given period of time.
    Hi LaRosa,

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here. If the thread is NOT marked [Solved] even after 25 responses, is the "Unanswered Posts Team" still looking at it?

A post could be solved in 1 or 2 responses, but if it isn't marked [Solved], you're still looking at it. I had no idea the the "Mark Thread as Solved" even existed when I first came here, finally when I did learn about it, I had to go to my CP, search for my threads, and mark them after the fact. I wonder if all users do that, bet not.

My guess is that there are thousands of threads [Solved] but not marked so.

For that reason I thought that if Solved was "visible" on the top menu, it would get used a lot more, take it out of "Thread Tools" and put it beside it.

Code:
     Solved - Thread Tools - Search this Thread - Display Modes
    Just a thought.... of which I have one more that I think is more in line for making the Unanswered Post Team's job easier as well.

Just a thought
    Bruce

EDIT: I thought "bumping" was not allowed? And all this time I've been adding:
    1. Some more info
    2. Say goodnight

Reason for edit:
    EDIT; 1, 2
    Last edited by Bruce M.; January 27th, 2008 at 03:48 AM. Reason: EDIT

Beans

>I'm not sure if I'm missing something here. If the thread is NOT marked [Solved] even after 25 responses, is the "Unanswered Posts Team" still looking at it?

It doesn't come up in the Unanswered Posts searches we do, but we do look for unsolved problems. However, with responses present, we have to read them. If I see a thread with 9 responses, I typically don't read it if I see another thread that has no responses. If I see a thread with 25 responses, I typically do tread the last page and the first post. In my experience, very few threads are OT for that long, and OT threads often forget the original problem.

>A post could be solved in 1 or 2 responses, but if it isn't marked [Solved], you're still looking at it. I had no idea the the "Mark Thread as Solved" even existed when I first came here, finally when I did learn about it, I had to go to my CP, search for my threads, and mark them after the fact. I wonder if all users do that, bet not.

I often see threads with no responses, or a bump, that states that it was solved. I usually advise to post the solution and mark it as solved.

>My guess is that there are thousands of threads [Solved] but not marked so.

Yes, there are.

>For that reason I thought that if Solved was "visible" on the top menu, it would get used a lot more, take it out of "Thread Tools" and put it beside it.

I would think a "Solved" button on the OP's screen on every post would be a good feature. (Like the thanks icon) If a solution is found, the OP just clicks the button, which marks the thread as solved, and marks the post that solved it. Just my idea though. This would also be on the OP's posts, as some problems are solved independently.

>EDIT: I thought "bumping" was not allowed? And all this time I've been adding:
    1. Some more info
    2. Say goodnight

It is allowed if it is needed. General advice is too wait about 48 hours, or at least 24. Bumped threads lose the advantage of 0 replies.

Beans
    Hidden!

>I would think a "Solved" button on the OP's screen on every post would be a good feature. (Like the thanks icon) If a solution is found, the OP just clicks the button, which marks the thread as solved, and marks the post that solved it. Just my idea though. This would also be on the OP's posts, as some problems are solved independently.
    Oh, much better idea, since it's the OP that can set it. Yes, that would be perfect.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello.

If the thread is NOT marked [Solved] even after 25 responses, is the "Unanswered Posts Team" still looking at it?

It doesn't come up in the Unanswered Posts searches we do, but we do look for unsolved problems.

Bumping is allowed if it is needed. General advice is too wait about 48 hours, or at least 24. Bumped threads lose the advantage of 0 replies.
    Indeed, I recently deliberately avoided bumping a thread of mine, and even adding responses to it, to keep it at 0 replies. Instead, I edited the original post as I came across additional information that I hoped would help in solving the issue.

>A post could be solved in 1 or 2 responses, but if it isn't marked [Solved], you're still looking at it. My guess is that there are thousands of threads [Solved] but not marked so.

Yes, there are.
    I just made a suggestion on how we could encourage the use of the Solved -feature, and in the aftermath, also found this thread. See:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=693056

(The theme itself is also discussed here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...87#post4306387 )

I would think a "Solved" button on the OP's screen on every post would be a good feature. (Like the thanks icon) If a solution is found, the OP just clicks the button, which marks the thread as solved, and marks the post that solved it. Just my idea though. This would also be on the OP's posts, as some problems are solved independently.
    I very much support this idea, and in fact any idea that makes the Solved -feature more visible.

kko1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There is ample room for a 'mark as resolved' button. Each page has a link named 'post reply' near the top and near the bottom of the page. Since that link is the only thing on a line, you could place a 'solved' link right beside it.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    There is ample room for a 'mark as resolved' button. Each page has a link named 'post reply' near the top and near the bottom of the page. Since that link is the only thing on a line, you could place a 'solved' link right beside it.
    This is another feature with low discoverability.

Nice icon like green check mark, next to "thank you" button will be easier to use. I believe that most people use "quote" and "quick reply" to interact with forum, so that are best targets to feature we want people not to miss, IMHO.

Or even special submit button: "submit and mark as solved" for OP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast