Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monitor Help

Beans

Monitor Help

Hi guys,

I need help choosing which of these two monitors I should get.

1 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158908
    2 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-23-inch...5621297&sr=1-1

They are somewhat similar, but I can't decide which one to get. Also, do you think that the VGA connection mentioned in Number 2 is a 15 D-sub (like the first option is)?

Thank you for your help

Beans

Re: Monitor Help

Anyone have any input?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by intense.ego View Post
    Anyone have any input?
    I was about to recommend my panel (link), but one look at the price and I must ask what amount of crack their on? I mean that's no where near the price I paid (was on heavy discount, around 450 CAD), it's like they just took the US price and put a pound sign in front.

I'm a Samsung person, that said, I can't vouch for the quality of that monitor. At the price point, I'm pretty sure it's a run of the mill TN panel, if that's acceptable to you then ok. If you don't know about panel types, you probably don't care. Just never stare at a PVA panel or you'll never go back >.>. If you want better advice, I ask that you describe what exactly you want to do with it. Gaming? 1080P movies? Neither? Other?

Edit: TN Confirmed.
    Last edited by starcraft.man; June 22nd, 2009 at 10:22 PM.

Beans

I was going to just do normal everyday browsing, and watch quite a few videos with some occasional gaming. I am leaning towards the Acer because of it's price, but I just wanted to know if there are any major differences anyone can spot between the two monitors.

Also the Acer is described as having a "1 x Analog: VGA" input single. Will I be able to connect it to a laptop with a 15 pin VGA connector?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Samsung > Acer.

They both have the same connector. VGA means the littler one that most laptops have. It's analog. DVI is larger and digital.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I like the first one's resolution: 2048x1152 (little more screen real estate than the second one's 1920x1080)

Beans

I know the Samsung has a slightly better resolution, but will the difference in contrast ratio (while the Samsung one is 20,000:1 the Acer is 40,000:1) be much better on the Acer?
    Also will I be able to connect to these monitors if my laptop (the thing I'm going to connect these monitors to) has a 15 pin VGA slot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Samsung every time.
    You get a zero defective pixel warranty on every Samsung monitor sold in the UK.
    Manufacturer's stated contrast ratio figure is entirely meaningless.

They will work with your laptop, but check up what resolution your laptop can handle on an external monitor.
    It might not be able to get up to the native resolution of either of the two screens you're considering.
    If the monitor is being purchased solely to be used with the laptop, you could potentially be wasting money if you can't use all the resolution.

Beans

I checked my laptop's documentation and there is no information about this, is there some software I can use to find out what resolution my laptop can support?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You'll get the information from the manufacturer's website.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast