Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't Boot After Upgrading To 2.6.31

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't Boot After Upgrading To 2.6.31

Hi angel120,

You're welcome. Like I said I'd use test 2, which is basically your original xorg.conf unless you have a reason/want a different one. I'm not confident test 5 with "SendCoreEvents" commented out will be stable.

And remember we had to change the by-path because you had the Win7 firmware, not the Vista firmware.

I'm not sure you can turn touch off with your set up. You should be able to with:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set touch touch off
    And then to turn it back on the same but off to on. But I think some other folks with n-trig and Ayuthia's patched kernel said it wasn't working for them. But worth trying.

Again not sure you can disable touch altogether with n-trig. But first I would try to comment out (#) the touch entry in "ServerLayout". If that doesn't work I'd keep it commented out and then move onto the touch section. If you try to comment out the touch section you'll knock out the tablet coordinates. So you would have to try moving them to the stylus section.
    Last edited by Favux; July 14th, 2009 at 05:02 AM.

Beans

Favux, thanks!

I tried that command, but unfortunately, 'xsetwacom' is not installed.

The next post I put on here will be a "how to" for this entire ordeal, just in case I have to reformat my laptop before 9.10 comes out and/or if someone else is having difficulty with their own TX2.

Again, Favux, thanks a million!

Beans
    Distro

Hi angel120,

Check Synaptic Package Manager. We know the 0.8.2-2 linuxwacom driver package xserver-xorg-input-wacom is installed. Make sure wacom-tools is also installed.

Beans

How I Set Up Stylus & Touch

This is a quick summary of the entire process mentioned in this thread. This is for reference for either myself, or anyone else with an HP TouchSmart TX2 that is having trouble getting their touch input or stylus to work properly.

First off, my specifications:
    • HP TouchSmart TX2z 1025, purchased Feb 2009
    • AMD Turion X2 @ 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, webcam, fingerprint scanner
    • Dual booting between Ubuntu 9.04 64bit with (patched) 2.6.28-13-generic & Windows 7 64bit Release Client (installed May 2009)

Steps:
    • Get everything else working via http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=72 (ignore steps 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14)
    • Download Ayuthia's patched kernel to ~/Desktop
      Image: http://linuxfans.betaserver.org/pack...3.44_amd64.deb
      Headers: http://linuxfans.betaserver.org/pack...3.44_amd64.deb
    • Download my 10-wacom.fdi & xorg.conf (see attached) to ~/Desktop
    • Take out .txt from both aforementioned files (rename them)
    • Run the following 3 commands:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic_2.6.28-13.44_amd64.deb && sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic_2.6.28-13.44_amd64.deb
      sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf && sudo cp ~/Desktop/xorg.conf /etc/X11/
      sudo rm /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-wacom.fdi && sudo cp ~/Desktop/10-wacom.fdi /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty
    • Reboot and test

PS - If there's anything I missed or any mistakes I made, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Special thanks to Favux for helping me out!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by angel120; July 14th, 2009 at 11:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi angel120,

I guess the plan is to integrate MPX and some other multitouch stuff into the next few releases of Xserver. So I don't know for sure what will be ready for Kharmic (9.10). It may be an "experimental" option. But Kharmic will have 2.6.31 which already had pretty good N-trig support. And if Rafi, Ayuthia, and the others track down the last niggling issue it may even rock.

Let's see if we can turn touch off. Attached is the simplest way in the xorg.conf I can think of.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

you'll see that your test #2 is the same as the one I ended up posting (though, i'm still using /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.0-event-mouse.. probably different firmware version?).

i looked though your changes vs mine, and the only difference i could determine was the commenting out of ntrig in the fdi file. i applied that change,

now my touch works 100% perfect.

when i bring the stlyus in range, it takes over (still doesn't get rid touch though/aka no palm recognition... still can't use xournal). but then touch goes back to the way it used to be (kinda crappy). i can get it to go back to awesome by dragging 2 fingers across the screen about 2 inches apart.

disabling/re-enabling it works for me:
    Code:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set touch touch on
    any chance we can further patch the ntrig stylus driver to trigger these when the stylus is in range?

i have a feeling that the 'kinda crappy' response of touch is actually the functionality of palm recognition. the problem is that ANY drag during this state is registered. so, it's not a very effective touch disable while the stylus is in play.
    Last edited by synace; July 15th, 2009 at 05:14 AM.

Beans

for now i've added icons to my panel to fire the tablet rotation and the touch on/off

the rotate is in one of my previous posts...

the touch toggle:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    STATUS=`xsetwacom get touch touch`
    if [ "$STATUS" == "0" ]
      then
        echo "Touch was OFF, enabling."
        xsetwacom set touch touch on
    else
        echo "Touch was ON, disabling."
    fi
    any1 know how to get this conditional working for /bin/sh? i have it for bash here
    Last edited by synace; July 15th, 2009 at 05:30 AM.

Beans

i notice now my calibration is off in tablet/inverted tablet (portrait/reverse portrait) positions.

landscape (normal) and inverted landscape (180degrees?) are both fine.

also, right click (xournal eraser) doesn't work when your palm is resting on the surface.

cellwriter works well!

issues with the touch not being 100% responsive, i find that a 'pinch' seems to correct the touch better than 2 fingers dragging across the screen. place forefinger & middle finger as far apart as you can and then pinch them together. touch works immediately after this.
    Last edited by synace; July 15th, 2009 at 05:49 AM.

Beans

Hi, all. I apologize if this post is slightly off topic. Going way back to the very first post of this thread, I am getting the same screen (funky neon green ubuntu logo with frozen status bar below) when I boot up. This just happened this evening for the very first time.

I know recently this thread has been about touch screens, but I don't have one of those. I have a regular old laptop. HP Pavilion dv4000 series. Intel Pentium M at 2.13 GHz; ATI mobility radeon graphics.

I had been running ubuntu 8.10 for a while. I didn't upgrade at first when 9.04 became available, but yesterday I thought I would bite the bullet and upgrade. I did so and everything was running just fine last night. Today when I tried to boot up, I got the neon green funk.

I'm a relative noob when it comes to linux, but i'm doing my best to keep up. I've read through a few threads, but have gotten nothing to work. Here's what I've tried so far:

• pressing esc to enter GRUB menu, I have tried all the options listed (kernel 2.6.28-13-generic; same kernel in recovery mode; kernel 2.6.27-14-generic; same kernel in recovery mode)
    • running dpkg, i get a long list of errors (failed to fetch various items from various URLs; some index files failed to download; you way want to run apt-get update to corect these problems). it tells me it will upgrade wine and wine-gecko. I agree, and it fails to fetch the items
    • have chosen items to update grub bootloader and xfix to auto repair graphic problems
    • dropped to root and ran apt-get update. fails to retrieve all items and tells me to run apt-get update to correct the problems.
    • entered the following at root:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      • went through all steps to no avail
    • downloaded the .iso and burned to CD. through boot menu, booted from hard drive with various options selected (acpi=off; noapic; nolapic). none worked.

I get no sound or visual (other than the neon green), so I don't think it's strictly a graphics issue. I can boot from CD as a liveCD, but would really like to fix my installation without reformatting, if possible.

I haven't read in depth through all the posts, as it seems like the last several pages were specific to resolving touch screen functionality. But please correct me if i'm wrong.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks so much in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Try
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

if [ `xsetwacom get touch Touch` -gt 0 ]
    then
    	xsetwacom set touch Touch 0
    else
    	xsetwacom set touch Touch 1