Thread: limited resolution on ASUS vh222h

Beans

limited resolution on ASUS vh222h

I recently upgraded to an ASUS widescreen monitor. I am unable to get it to run at full 1920x1080 resolution in Ubuntu, instead I'm stuck at 1440x900. My pc is dual booted and I can get full resolution in winXP. I tried manually setting the display to 1920 1080 in xorg.conf but no luck.

For winXP I had to tell the driver that I the signal was formatted HD North America (or something like that).

Beans

Re: limited resolution on ASUS vh222h

What video card type do you use? If you use nVidia, then you can set the resolutions separately through its configuration software. You can access it through:

System -> Administration -> NVIDIA X Settings

There after, you could just visit the Display Configuration part and then choose Detect Displays. ...But that's all assuming you have nVidia.

Beans

I've been using the nVidia X-config utility. The highest res it detects for my display is 1440x900. (GeForce fx5500)

I checked back in XP, under the nVidia control panel. I have to tell it to run as an HD display, 1080p format. Is this a format that nVidia does not have under their X-server utility?

Thanks for your help, I'm going to google "linux 1080p"

This looks promising...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-425527.html
    Last edited by Techmobowl; July 8th, 2009 at 06:20 AM.

Beans

The best solution would be probably updating your video drivers then if possible. nVidia has a history of putting the basics into a Linux driver first and then adding features as time goes on. This includes monitor resolutions, and I've gone through the issue as well.

I would recommend installing "envyng-qt" from Synaptic. It can be found under:

System -> Administration -> Synaptic

The Jaunty version of EnvyNG should be enough, but in case you aren't running that version, here is a link.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/envyng-qt

Beans

Option "UseEdidFreqs" "false"
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes, NoPredefinedModes"

I added these two lines to xorg.conf as discussed in the post I linked to. Now I have beautiful 1920x1080p for my ubuntu desktop. Victory!

Beans

Congratulations!