Thread: Linux Fax Server in Windows AD??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Linux Fax Server in Windows AD??

I've been tasked with setting up a fax server. I'd rather not spend money on a product in Windows. I'd like to know what others have done for their environment. I found this while googling:

http://linuxgazette.net/issue79/fraile.html

However, there aren't detailed instructions. I'd like to do something similar to his setup. I want a samba printer that I can assign to a Windows machine as a normal printer. When someone prints to it, they're sent an email to a webpage where they fill out destination phone number and asked for a cover page. This would mean that the hylafax server would need to query AD for the users email address, then create a webpage specifically for that job. I'm not really familiar with the querying process, let alone the scripting required for the "one-time" webpage. Has anyone seen anything similar or something that would work well? I'd prefer not having to install a piece of software on every machine that would need to fax. I would also like all incoming faxes emailed to a certain address. That person would be responsible for distributing faxes. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Linux Fax Server in Windows AD??

Has anyone done anything similar to this at all? How do others use linux as a fax server in a Windows environment?

Beans

Hylafax and email.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I want to setup Hylafax and email. However, how do you get Hylafax to send an email to the person that submitted the fax job? Thanks!

Jim

Beans
    Distro

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd love to use Ubuntu, but not if it won't deliver what I need. Has anyone done anything similar to this? Thanks!

Jim