Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Installing Firefox 3.5 - NOT shiretoko

Beans

Re: Installing Firefox 3.5 - NOT shiretoko

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    It's not a paradox at all. It's a totally different release model for a different target audience.

Arch is a rolling release distro, so all software gets upgraded immediately. That's great for power users.

Ubuntu is more for the average users, the ones who have no idea Firefox 3.5 just came out (i.e., most computer users). Most people have no problems updating their software only once every six months.
    A rolling release also tends to have stability problems. Of course, Ubuntu has had its fair share of problems, which I'm sure would've been fixed on-the-spot if it was a rolling release.

Instead of Shiretoko, I just use the unbranded version of Firefox 3.5.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install abrowser-3.5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have tried unsuccessfully 3 times to download and install this update and it WON'T work. I am new to Ubuntu and the whole Linux thing but surely this should work?

Did the download to the home directory and ran the single command line but NOTHING happened. All I did the first time was to make the quick start icon not work. I used the single command line install and at least it has given me the links back but ONLY to version 3.011. So, PLEASE tell me WHAT I did wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why does this stuff NEED to be so hard to do. I now have Firefox 3.5 installed but I can't open it. I have a listing in applications/internet/ abrowser and that is what I am using now. I rebooted and this is what now is happening.

When I open the icon for FF it immediately says it can't connect.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456