Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 vs Windows 7 RC vs OSX86 on my laptop!

Beans

Ubuntu 9.04 vs Windows 7 RC vs OSX86 on my laptop!

Hellp all,

I thought it might be interesting to try and see how the most prominent OS of the day run on the same hardware. So I setup grub to be able to triple-boot Ubuntu 9.04, Windows 7 RC and Mac OSX86.

The idea was for me to see if my computer is still fit to run with the latest OS software and also to look for a better OS if that's ever possible.

The harware specs are found below.

The boot times (from power on to full desktop) are roughly similar and not one OS is a clear winner. Since OSX86 is customized to make Mac OS work on PCs, the estimate is just, well, estimated.

Ubuntu 9.04 : 35s
    Windows 7 RC: 55s
    Mac OSX86 : 43s

Comparing software is indeed difficult. Some apps are made to run only on some platforms. Because of my harware, most apps like Firefox and OpenOffice or MSOffice or iWork take about 10-15s to start.

Office Apps

• WINDOWS - MS Office 2007 SP2 is a clear winner in Windows 7 RC. Prefetch makes applications launch in 1s the second time with. The software is snappy and supports pdf and openoffice formats.
    • MAC - iWork 09 Trial Edition takes about 10s to start and is very responsive. Its unconventional presentation takes time to get used to. I haven't tried MS Office 2008 Trial Edition.
    • UBUNTU - MS Office 2007 through CrossOver in Ubuntu takes about 12s to start the first time and improves to 2-3s from the second time. It's great for everyday use.
      OpenOffice takes 15s to start. Start times can be improved through the openoffice startup option, to a zippy one second only. It is responsive but the UI looks dated and the conversion of Word documents is sketchy.

Photo Apps

I downloaded and used Adobe Photoshop Elements Trial Edition on Windows and Mac. I also used Gimp for Windows and Ubuntu. On each platform the programs performed well, except some notable freezes of Gimp in Windows.

The Internet

I use Firefox on Windows and Ubuntu with the same plugins. I have no base for comparison with OSX86 since the required hardware is not recognized.

I have found Firefox to be more stable on Windows than Ubuntu. I believe this is due to some conflicts between Compiz and Firefox that degrade video performances.

The UI

This one is very personal indeed.

• WINDOWS - The whole UI is consistent and the new bar functionality is very interesting indeed. The lack of customization out of the box is appaling though.
    • MAC - The UI is crisp and clean. The only notable exception is that fonts look blurry (something to do with hinting perhaps). Again, the lack of customization right of the box is a problem. Overall the UI looks smooth and professional but a little boring too.
    • UBUNTU - Customization galore! Ubuntu is really what you make of it and themes can be quite easily changed. The only drawback is graphical unity sometimes.

All the desktop effects were enabled (Aero, Expose and Spaces, Compiz, etc...). All the UIs stood firm with my hardware. However, because of bad Intel support in Jaunty, the desktop effects are slower than in Ibex.

Conclusion

For everyday use I would choose and recommend Ubuntu. Most apps react like they should and perform well. It is free, its community is awesome and you can customize it at will. If you need professional applications like Adobe products or OS restricted products (iLife for instance), you can choose Windows 7 or Mac OSX.

I found Windows 7 RC interesting but I'm still worried about spyware and viruses, which prevents it from being the OS of choice. However it is the desktop reference and MS Office SP2 is absolutely irreplaceable.

OSX86 gives you the opportunity to try OSX and its associated software. In my opinion, OSX is no better than Linux in terms of safety, but the simplicity and elegance of its software (iLife and iWork) makes it a worthy candidate if you want to remain a casual user and don't want to be bothered by your computer acting up on you (outside hardware faults of course). The price of Apple hardware and software is not justified though and brings it down to a shameful 3rd place.

To make a strong and significant difference in the OS world I believe Ubuntu needs companies like Adobe (Photoshop) or even MS (MS Office) and Apple (iTunes) to develop native versions of their acclaimed software. The future will tell...
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 vs Windows 7 RC vs OSX86 on my laptop!

the8thstar
    To make a strong and significant difference in the OS world I believe Ubuntu needs companies like Adobe (Photoshop) or even MS (MS Office) and Apple (iTunes) to develop native versions of their acclaimed software. The future will tell...
    I totally disagree with this. I'd prefer to see improvements in FOSS than to support or even consider MS program suppliers. With all the available OSS applications I see no reason to use anything Windows related. Perhaps, the FOSS concept is lost on some, but the principles of Ubuntu are based on that ideology.

I for one, refuse to support that which is not FOSS and suggest if one truly believes in the Ubuntu/Linux principles - than supporting FOSS should be mandatory. If we truly wish to enhance the Ubuntu/Linux experience than lets get behind FOSS and put our money and time towards that philosophy. Not support an ideology that is 180 degrees out of sync (for the most part) with FOSS.

My hope - the future is dominated by OSS programs that smoke anything written by others and become the standard. Without our support that may only be a dream. A wise man once told me to "let go of the present when dreaming of new concepts and concentrate on the future, for our conceptual dreams only come to fruition in the future".

Just my $0.02
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    I totally disagree with this. I'd prefer to see improvements in FOSS than to support or even consider MS program suppliers. With all the available OSS applications I see no reason to use anything Windows related. Perhaps, the FOSS concept is lost on some, but the principles of Ubuntu are based on that ideology.

I for one, refuse to support that which is not FOSS and suggest if one truly believes in the Ubuntu/Linux principles - than supporting FOSS should be mandatory. If we truly wish to enhance the Ubuntu/Linux experience than lets get behind FOSS and put our money and time towards that philosophy. Not support an ideology that is 180 degrees out of sync (for the most part) with FOSS.

My hope - the future is dominated by OSS programs that smoke anything written by others and become the standard. Without our support that may only be a dream. A wise man once told me to "let go of the present when dreaming of new concepts and concentrate on the future, for our conceptual dreams only come to fruition in the future".

Just my $0.02
    My opinion is that people should have the opportunity to choose which programs they want to use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just my $0.02

Tamlynmac, I normally agree with you and your posts, but In this instance, I find myself disagreeing.

Not everyone is all about supporting foss (I am but that's besides the point ) Some people just need those products and what they have to offer, be it for business or whatever. I personally have to say that I agree with the OP though I highly doubt you'll ever see MS developing anything to run natively on Linux. But if more of these Big Name Software dev's did develop native Linux programs then less users would have problems transitioning over and Linux would more than likely gain a substantial user base.

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ms_Angel_D
    Perhaps miswritten.

I was referring to the future not the present. If those that use Ubuntu and believe in FOSS don't support it, then why use Ubuntu and not Windows. If one is satisfied with their present OS why switch to one that represents a totally different philosophy?

If Windows programs are required to be used (for whatever reason) then why not use Windows? I've never been against using what works, just don't want Ubuntu to deviate from the path it's on.

As I said in my post, my dream is to have FOSS become the standard not the exception. The only way that will occur is with our support.

Choosing the programs one wishes to use should also apply to an OS. It's been my experience that Windows programs (for the most part) run best in Windows, as that's the platform they were written for. Hence logic suggests, one use Windows should they desire or need to run Windows programs. I'm not against dual booting.

I expect many will argue in belief that this limits the growth of Ubuntu. But it's my opinion the growth of Ubuntu should be grounded in FOSS. As I said this is just my opinion and only my opinion. It should not reflect anyone else's.

Just my $0.02
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Perhaps miswritten.
    I do understand what your saying, and it does make sense to keep Ubuntu rooted in FOSS.

I guess all I'm saying is, I do wish to use as many FOSS programs as possible, however there are a few items which don't quite yet have good Linux equivalents.

I personally have yet to find what I personally consider a good FOSS equivalent to Adobe's Dreamweaver, it's sad to say but for now I just need that program. I don't want windows, and I don't dual boot. I'm not a programmer, I don't know a thing about scripting and tbh I have more pressing concerns at present then setting about to learn anything about programming languages, outside of what I know for maintaining my websites.

It's just My opinion but something has to give we either need great Linux FOSS equivalents to some of these programs or these companies need to make native Linux versions. Either way would help Ubuntu to grow IMHO.

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

That would be great if the commercial software world would get off their humps and support Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

That would be my point to, I have sad to say not been able to find anything that could replace the Adobe line of products in the area of FOSS. Once you see anyone making a program that comes close to say Dreamweaver or Flash CS4 then you can ask the question why not use the FOSS alternative but to date nothing exists. And my C programming skills are still to new to attempt to write such software myself.

I would also say that if your going to cast stones at people for using closed source commercial software that you should be actively working seriously to closing the gap that exists in making a FOSS equivalent.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

supernix
    I would also say that if your going to cast stones at people for using closed source commercial software that you should be actively working seriously to closing the gap that exists in making a FOSS equivalent.
    Well said and I couldn't agree more. Just because one can't program doesn't mean one can't donate or actively participate some other way . There's many ways to provide assistance and promote FOSS.

Finding a FOSS equivalent and supporting it could eventually result in quality programs that may become the standard. Amazingly, many use FOSS programs now without participating and complain that they don't meet the quality of Windows programs. Hmmm Yet they are more than glad to lay out good money for the Windows programs (not including updating). Guess I just don't understand.

I do my best to assist and even donate to some projects. Unfortunately, my position prohibits me from doing much more than that. But I refuse to complain, when I don't participate in or support the solution. Guess that's just not in my nature.
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans

FOSS is an interesting concept and I am not opposing it. OpenOffice is a great example of a collaborative open source project for instance.

I want commercial companies like Adobe, Microsoft and Apple to deploy their applications because the products they make are good and that could drive more people to use Linux, because they'd know they could find the software they like to use on a Linux platform. It's a shame it's not FOSS but it gets the job done.

Eventually, this is about freedom to choose.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast