Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chinese Language is not "Ready for the Desktop."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The Chinese Language is not "Ready for the Desktop."

Um, in case people didn't get it, this was meant to be satire.

I don't believe at all that Chinese is less "ready for the desktop" than English. That's kind of the whole point...
    Last edited by aysiu; June 27th, 2006 at 10:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

lmao, very witty ... the point about the different variations was very well thought out, well done
    public void signature(){
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No worries,
    my post was also an attempt at a satire
    (though I really think English should get rid of X ,C and Q...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by tsb
    Actually there are at least two approved systems for romanizing Chinese. Almost all the signs here in Taiwan have both traditional Chinese and the romanized characters. Unfortunately they can't decide which of these two systems to use, so there are signs using both systems which could confuse someone without any exerience using them.
    I don't know what part of Taiwan you're in, but there's sod all of them in Taipei - aside from road signs - that are romanized. Plus there's way more than two approved systems; try six. And that's only recognized, named ones, never mind the fustercluck of "well it kinda sounds right" systems here. Anyway, my point wasn't the romanization - it was the fact that the Chinese is grammatically bumfarts.

And back on topic - Jesus Christ people, I think some of you need to have satire detectors installed. Are y'all usually this literal-minded in here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoTW
    I don't know what part of Taiwan you're in, but there's sod all of them in Taipei - aside from road signs - that are romanized. Plus there's way more than two approved systems; try six. And that's only recognized, named ones, never mind the fustercluck of "well it kinda sounds right" systems here. Anyway, my point wasn't the romanization - it was the fact that the Chinese is grammatically bumfarts.
    Not sure what you are trying to say in the first sentence. The government only sanctions the use of two systems AFAIK, but like I said there may be others. The "kinda sounds right" stuff must not be sanctioned. The news was full of this about a year ago. What's wrong with the grammar? Chinese is much, much simpler than English grammatically. Learning how to write it is another thing.
    Ubuntu fanboy ~ Do yourself a favor and get a DS Lite. It has the best lineup of games this 30 year gamer has ever seen.

Beans

Yes, English is the most complicated language in the world, it's just that (some of us) are used to it. Chinese is a lot more compicated to write down though, lots of letters to choose from.
    A Fedora user

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia
    aysiu, you do realize there are some people who would completely agree with what you wrote, don't you?
    There are some people who would agree with Johnathan Smith's "Modest Proposal", too. On my home planet, we call such people "cat food".
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

fei4 hua4, ni3 shi4 ben4 dan4. if somebody needs to use ASCII to communicate in mandarin, they can easily do so. spoken mandarin is one of the easiest languages on the planet to learn. it was INVENTED to be easy to learn. outside of beijing, pretty much NOBODY speaks it as a first language... if zhou blow in xiamen can learn it by 1st grade, it had better be easy to learn.

as for written english, joe-sixpack american can barely use that anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sandwormblues
    fei4 hua4, ni3 shi4 ben4 dan4. if somebody needs to use ASCII to communicate in mandarin, they can easily do so. spoken mandarin is one of the easiest languages on the planet to learn. it was INVENTED to be easy to learn. outside of beijing, pretty much NOBODY speaks it as a first language... if zhou blow in xiamen can learn it by 1st grade, it had better be easy to learn.

as for written english, joe-sixpack american can barely use that anyway.
    I'll repeat what I said earlier. The post was intended to be satirical.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well, what's an experience to read this thread while I'm a guy speak Chinese! In my opinion, Linux desktop do has gotten a better support for Chinese already, and Chinese characters work very well in my Dapper. But as all of you guys know that, English is quite a widely used language, it is then necessary to learn English for us speak "foerign languages", just for communication, or just for FUN!

In anther word, I think we Chinese speakers should also do much for opensource, to develop Chinese support for them. Just like SCIM, stardict, firefly etc.

Cheers!
    Last edited by leeyee; July 11th, 2006 at 10:14 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast