Thread: a word to the wise

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

a word to the wise

The biggest security problem is usually found between the chair and the key board. For all that use their PC for internet banking, relying on Ubuntu to keep worms and trojans from their computer, here is another worry for you. If one can call in and reset ones log-on/password by answering a few challenge questions; DO NOT pick questions that have answers in the public record. Research will reveal the full names of all your relatives, where you were married, whitenesses, where you went to high school, etc. Once you have picked the most obscure questions I will suggest you fill in incorrect but memorable answers. [if asked for a pet's name answer with the breed instead]

how do I know this? Suffice to say I no longer use answers in the public record.
    OS upgrade with no hardware upgrade: $0.
    having a smooth first install: ....priceless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: a word to the wise

My bank uses a more "primitive" approach, but it is also more secure. If you forget your password, you will have to physically visit a branch - with proof of identity, and get them to reset your account.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by adrianx View Post
    My bank uses a more "primitive" approach, but it is also more secure. If you forget your password, you will have to physically visit a branch - with proof of identity, and get them to reset your account.
    mine will too, but only if one fails the challenge questions.
    OS upgrade with no hardware upgrade: $0.
    having a smooth first install: ....priceless.

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I will never/ever do online banking with one, single password as a "security" measure.

Beans

It frustrates me that all sorts of online systems do this.

"What city were you born?"

"What was your first school?"

"What year did you graduate?"

"What's your dog's name?"

Aye aye aye...public records aside, questions as silly as that could be answered by anybody who remotely knows me.

I remember when these started popping up, I scratched my head and went "hmmm..." Then a few years later certain celebrities and government officials in the US started becoming victims of attacks like these.

When forced to answer stuff like this, I now use my "secondary" password which is completely unrelated to the security question.

I'm really sorry this happened to you man. I hope the damage is minimal.
    Last edited by Lucky.; July 6th, 2009 at 02:33 AM.