Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realtek ALC272 sound card does not work,help

Beans

Realtek ALC272 sound card does not work,help

I am very new to ubuntu and I just purchased a netbook - Toshiba NB200. Then I installed ubuntu netbook remix version 9.04 after windows xp installed. Everything is working well except the sound card. There seems no visual error in the system but no sound can be heard.

Then I try to compile and install the drivers(include drivers,libs and utils)from realtek web site(http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false) and offical alsa web site(http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page). More options were displayed in the volume control panel but still no sound.
    (I have already disable the mute and push volume to highest in alsamixer and control panel of ubuntu).

However, I can hear the sound from built mic if I plug the earphone in the netbook.

Anyone can solve this problem?
    Last edited by yorkzhang; July 4th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.

Beans

Re: Realtek ALC272 sound card does not work,help

You're not alone. I also have the NB200 and no sound. There is an open bug report on launchpad for the issue. It appears that it's being looked at so I guess it's just a matter of waiting. Seems you've tried everything I've tried, so I have no further suggestions. My temporary work around is to use a USB headset which has its own sound card in it but the sooner the problem is fixed the better. It sort of explains why Toshiba don't offer this very nice netbook with linux where they did with the NB100.

Beans

Just solved this problem partly.(You can hear sound from a plug-in earphone or speaker but not the build-in speaker)
    The post in SUSE forums really helps me a a lot.
    http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/...d-problem.html

The brief instruction for ALC272 is as below:
    $sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

then add(or edit) this:

options snd-hda-intel model=asus-mode4

Close gedit,then run this in the terminal

alsamixer

adjust volume and reset your computer.

If still no sound, try to upgrade the alsa. you can follow the way of this post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...upgrade+script

Good Luck
    Last edited by yorkzhang; July 6th, 2009 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

Nice find. It's a step further on than I was. Next up ... wifi.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had the same experience as Yorkzhang so really appreciate finding a partial solution. For me everything (including wireless) works great and I really like the netbook re-mix.

If anyone finds a solution to the sound from built-in speaker and microphone I would be grateful.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ultim8Fury View Post
    Nice find. It's a step further on than I was. Next up ... wifi.

Thanks.
    The wifi is much easier.What you should do is just as below.

$sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty

Beans

Yeah I did that,, now the card is detected during boot and appears in the output of ifconfig however it doesn't seem to actually work. Maybe I'm being dense but it can't detect any wifi networks at all and I'm only 6ft from my router.

Think I may have found out what the problem is. According to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193429&page=3&highlight=AR928

if wifi was turned off in windows then it won't work in linux.

http://tjmcgrew.com/

useful link from some guy with an NB205
    Last edited by Ultim8Fury; July 6th, 2009 at 08:54 AM.

Beans

I'm also an NB200 owner - i've played around with all the installed packages so much that I don't have a new build feel to the kernel i'm running. I can get wireless working fine, but the sound problem was and still is annoying me.

I found the linux-backports-modules-jaunty actually 'stopped' my wifi from working, so i unstalled it. I did a manual compile of the compat-wireless.2.6.30 drivers and all works ok. I even narrowed the makefile down to the ath9k driver so i didn't have to compile useless modules.

Beans

I just bought a NB200 also, have sound on the headphones and no speaker.

I hope somebody will figure this out soon, it quite useless like this to me.
    I was surprised that the sound would be the big issue.

I was playing with the mixer and noticed to following (using the 'options snd-hda-intel model=asus-mode4"):

- microphone is listed as a playback device
    - headphone & pcm both control the volume for the headphones like the one is piped into the other.
    - master does nothing

It seems like the sound chip is working fine, but that the channels are not mapped properly through the mixer. I am wondering how the alsa mixer is mapped, and if that can be done manually.

Can anybody shine some light on this?

Beans

I ran 8.10 using a usb stick today on my Toshiba NB200 and totally expecting the audio to not work and IT DID! (But no wireless =(

I tried using ndiswrapper and it seemed to install the drivers on the windows partition (/programfiles/atheros/driver/netathw.inf)
    ndiswrapper -l showed
    "netathw: driver installed
    device (168C:002B) present"

but I couldn't get it any futher than that
    iwconfig showed no wireless extensions.
    Has anyone managed to get the NB200 wireless working on 8.10 using ndiswrapper?

So apparently the audio is a problem on the newer 9.04 read more here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/389040

The AR9285 wireless requires kernel 2.6.29.
    I've read the latest daily build of the netbook remix is supporting it, so I'm downloading that now.

anyone got the bluetooth working now? (Oh and will the Gshock detector work in ubuntu or is it a ******* only feature?)
    Last edited by dimeotane; July 17th, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
    Are You the Ubuntu Guru?
    "By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.”
    ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast