Thread: how to upgrade ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 from a cd

Beans

how to upgrade ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 from a cd

hi
    i have received the new ubuntu 9.04 cd and would like to upgrade my current system which is 8.10 to 9.04 without having to do a fresh install. i also have 6 dvd's with all the newest versions of software i am using under 8.10 for 9.04.
    i've tried this several times in the past adding each dvd and the ubuntu desktop install cd as a disc source in synaptic and clicking mark all upgrades. synaptic has, in the past, recognised the upgrades marked them to be upgraded then when i click apply. ubuntu starts upgrading the system but halts at some point. then i have to resort to drastic measures and finally i end up doing a clean install. which means reinstalling many applications manually to get my system back to the way it was but with the upgraded software. this procedure can take up to a week, and sometimes even longer.
    i know that the easiest way of upgrading is supposedly through the internet, but when i tried to upgrade though the internet ubuntu told me i would have to download about 2GB of additional data and estimated that on my connection this would take about 10 hours! which is probably an underestimate. this would also cost me a pretty penny in terms of bandwidth for having a 'free' operating system.
    since i already have all the software upgrades i need for 9.04 on disc (ie 1 cd and 6 dvds) how can i use this to upgrade my system without having to lose data (like emails etc) and configurations (like software prefs etc) and avoiding excessive and costly downloads. is there a way of doing this?
    many thanks
    jj

Beans

Re: how to upgrade ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 from a cd

Hi

Download and burn the Ubuntu "alternate" installation CD

Once you put it in your cd drive a menu should appear with the option to updrade;

OR you can mount the iso without burning it by typing :
    sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-9.04-alternate-i386.iso /media/cdrom0

Beans

Re: how to upgrade ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 from a cd

hi
    yes i am familiar with the alternate cd, however i have the cd called desktop edition. can i do an upgrade from the desktop edition cd? i'd really like to avoid having to do costly downloads (in terms of how much i have to pay for the bandwidth) about 700MB cd iso will also take about 9 hours to download on my internet connection according to firefox.
    surely the data i need is already on the cd's and dvd's i already have is there no way of doing an upgrade from these cd's and dvd's (mentioned in my first post on this thread) and avoiding the costly downloads?
    thanks in adavnce
    jj