Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove Firefox 3.0 after install of Firefox 3.5?

Beans

How to remove Firefox 3.0 after install of Firefox 3.5?

Hi,
    on Ubuntu 9.04 I have installed Firefox 3.5. I would like to uninstlal Firefox 3.0 to preserve disk space. I did the following in Terminal:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove firefox
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo rm -rf ~/.mozilla

But writting firefox to terminal Firefox 3.0 still appears. It looks like it wasn't removed from my system. How to uninstall Firefox 3.0 from my computer?
    Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How to remove Firefox 3.0 after install of Firefox 3.5?

Leave it installed. You can't be that low on disk space. The official Firefox might get updated to 3.5 and you'll need it then.
    Intel E8500 - ASUS P5Q-E - 4GB RAM - ATi Radeon 4670 - Samsung SpinPoint F1 - Enermax Modu82+ 425W

Linux user

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you have already done it, you will already have lost all your configuration, cookies, bookmarks and history, etc etc, as you deleted the ~./mozilla folder. That could be a problem, unless you copied all of them over to the 3.5 config, wherever that is kept. However, often, it is not only suggested, but required, that the old firefox remains until the final version of the new comes out. Perhaps I'm behind the times and the final of 3.5 is already here for ubuntu, but if so, I'm not aware of the fact.

Beans

Hi,
    from Firefox 3.5 Help | About there is info: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090701 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Shiretoko/3.5" Does this mean it is not official version yet? Where is this official/unofficial info hidden?
    Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OK, having just looked in synaptic, I see FF3.5 is now available. I was not aware of that and assume that as update notifyer does not flag it that FF3.0.11 is not going to be overtaken automatically by FF3.5.

Will the two versions live side by side with FF3.5 using other config files or will it automatically use the config in ~/.mozilla that is used by FF3.0.11? I will have a search of any stickies about this in the meantime, but would like to hear from anyone who has got 3.5 and has had no problems with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    Hi,
    from Firefox 3.5 Help | About there is info: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090701 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Shiretoko/3.5" Does this mean it is not official version yet? Where is this official/unofficial info hidden?
    Regards
    Same question. Firefox 3.5 shows up as "Shiretoko" and I sometimes get warnings on websites telling me that my browser is not supported and that I should use Internet Explorer or Firefox. Strange.

I installed 3.5 from the Karmic repos, by the way.

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I really prefere a site by site install: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox
    It does not effect the ubuntu desktop, if there are issue's with the new release/version you can use the "old" one.
    Jaunty comes with firefox 3.5 beta.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by leoquant View Post
    I really prefere a site by site install: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox
    It does not effect the ubuntu desktop, if there are issue's with the new release/version you can use the "old" one.
    Jaunty comes with firefox 3.5 beta.
    Actually, to be more correct FF3.5 is available for jaunty, but I don't think it comes with it automatically.

Also to answer my own question in post #5, I have tried it on a test install of ubuntu I keep on a separate partition, and have found that the executable is called /usr/bin/firefox-3.5 so it will run separately from FF3.0.11. It also adds a sub-folder to the ~/.mozilla folder called firefox-3.5 which appears to be an almost exact copy of the original firefox sub-folder. My look at FF3.5 so far suggests that it is stable and works well, but I will keep of it for now for my working OS, just in case it should go wrong and mess upthe whole ~/.mozila folder.

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Red face Re: How to remove Firefox 3.0 after install of Firefox 3.5?

Indeed jaunty proposed comes with the "real" 3.5. Correct?
    Or maybe the 3.6 alfa? (Just curious..)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, jaunty proposed has 3.5 final, but the standard security and recommended have the beta4. I don't know how different they are, but at the moment some extensions for 3.0.11 will not work on 3.5, so I shall stick with 3.0.11 for the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast