Thread: New to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: New to Ubuntu

Welcome to Ubuntu, If you want to have cool desktop effects and stuff Compiz is the way to go. Also I have a website that might help on some of the simpler things, It looks kinda funny and its not complete but some of the stuff may help http://www.unofficialubuntu.homelinux.com
    Last edited by linux_lover69; July 2nd, 2009 at 09:13 PM.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Go here and dowload the ubuntupocketguide

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1052065

Have fun.

I agree with linux_luver. Check out conky as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi and welcome, Moved to Absolute Beginner Talk

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome! And prepare for a new adventure. I am what they call a Newbie, since I have only been using Ubuntu since Feb. Two very basic things that I found different from Windows:

One: things like CDs,DVDs and printers with camera chips in them "mount" themselves when connected and need to be unmounted before being disconnected. They will show an icon on the desktop. Right click the icon and select unmount or eject from the menu that appears.
    Printers connected by USB (without camera chips) can just be unplugged.

Two: the command line. This is very useful for a lot of things and there are oodles of info in the "help" sections of Ubuntu. BUT PLEASE READ the information in the blue banner at the top of each sub-forum in this forum about malicious commands before you start playing around with the command line. Access the information in the banner by clicking the little brown box in the right end.

Go for it! Eldera

PS Read the posts in this forum marked "Sticky" They are lots of help.
    Last edited by Eldera; July 2nd, 2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Last View Post
    My windows 7 trial expired so i figured i would give this ago.
    I thought Windows 7 RC1 didnt expire till March 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Last View Post
    It seems really good so far, if you guys can tell me some flashy things i can do with my new linux enviroment i would be grateful.
    although compiz comes installed by default, the configuration manager isnt! from a terminal type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    now you can enable that awesome desktop cube that everyone raves about. also i highly recommend Gnome-Do. When you enable the "Docky" theme of Gnome do, it puts a nice application dock on the bottom of the screen like MacOS has.

Oh one more excellent eye candy app i've discovered is webilder.

Webilder is a wallpaper switcher that you can set to change your desktop background every X number of minutes. the beauty of this program is that you can set it to download photos directly from Flickr with the tags you specify.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First of all, Welcome.
    I'm not a pro in Linux but i can assure you that the learning never stops as this is an OS (without) boundaries. i say witout cuz i have never found one. neither have i herd of anyone that has... There is always a sullution, some easy, some not. Remember the forum, it helps lots. You are not making a mistake when you go GNU...

Good luck and Enjoy!!!
    POWER: Intel xeon 4x2.66GHz,4GB quad channel ecc DDR400(800MHz),210GB SCSI raid0(6x36GB) 512MB cache.
    PC: Intel E6600 @ 3.24GHz. NVIDIA 9800GT. 2GB DDR @ 833MHz. Ubuntu UE 2.6 64 (10.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

the Beta expired just recently. mine did too. I just upragded it to the RC1.

on my tablet, she is all ubuntu and i love it. Welcome to linux my friend. The biggest reason i choose this distro is the great community support.
    HP 5101 netbook