Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The name "Karmic" is a little off putting

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: The name "Karmic" is a little off putting

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphrexi View Post
    I still feel sad about it, since I do love ubuntu greatly. While I try to appear to be mindful of the great social consciousness, I am a Christian, and for me to continue using ubuntu... well it just doesn't feel right.

Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu has done a great deal of amazing things for linux and FOSS in general, but I can't see my pastor using something with Karmic in the name.
    All a matter of perception, I suppose. As a Buddhist, I'm kind of happy to see the name, myself. I believe there is a "Christian Ubuntu" version and even an "Islamic" version, if one puts so much into a name.

Or, if one has a problem with a word, such as "karma" or "karmic," its really no different than the Christian, "what you sow, you will reap." Same concept.

Seems funny to me that one can have such an issue with a word. Reminds me a bit of all the tizzy some people were in with the name of our current U.S. President. Nothing "evil" about the name, if one took the time to read the English translation of it. Names...words...translate into many languages and concepts and can share a common meaning.

Incidentally, I would not be "put off," from using "Christian Ubuntu," should it serve my needs as an operating system. It's just a word....it's just an operating system. Tolerance is a virtue.

Cheers,
    zenarcher
    Last edited by zenarcher; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Addition
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 256MB
    DellSP2009W

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It just a word in a different language. If the Newton version of karma is not enough, perhaps the Paul version will help you feel better as a christian:
    Just to remember, you can also stick to Jaunty, Intrepid or Hardy. (See release end-of-life here)
    Last edited by Tibuda; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

IMHO, your choice to associate karma solely with Hinduism / buddism is slightly narrow-minded. Though the word may have stemmed from one of those religions, it has developed into it's own (religion free) word to describe the belief that (in breif) good acts will be rewarded and bad acts will be punished.

Even if you refuse to believe karmic is a solely religious word, I don't see it as a valid reason to dislike an os. If you follow that principle, then surely you must also believe that all other religions are wrong and only yours is right.
    Black holes are where God divided by zero

Beans
    Distro

taavikko: it doesn't actually matter. What matters is the individual's perspective. If I asked my mom to use "Karmic", she'd give me 'the look'.
    Then ask her to try out Ubuntu 9.10 which will be the official name for the release. The stupid animal stuff is merely an attempt at humor for development and to have the release have a bit of personality.

When telling your mother about it, Ubuntu or if specific Ubuntu 9.10 should be fine. Though one might wonder if LTS releases might not be more.. mom friendly so perhaps waiting for 10.04 and then asking her to try it would be the best way to give her a pleasant Ubuntu experience.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MacUntu View Post
    Then tell ppl to get "Ubuntu 9.10"... wanna have your problems.
    Exactly. You don't -have- to call it Karmic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

'I am what i am because of what we all are'. 'HUMANITY to others' this is the philosophy of Ubuntu. I suppose the zoologists in the community would'nt have felt right either using The Jaunty Jackalope as the jackalope is a made up creature.

I could have SWORN that religion was supposed to bring people together. This is laughable, and belongs in the cafe.
    Last edited by Regenweald; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moved to the recurring discussion area.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, I seriously laughed when I read this thread.

Is this a serious thread?
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Hidden!

Since when did a Sanskrit word denoting action become religious in any way, I guess in the same breath we have to avoid any distros which would use words from Bible, Torah or Quran for that matter, this is a silly conception in every way. Please lighten up.

Beans
    Distro

While I try to appear to be mindful of the great social consciousness, I am a Christian, and for me to continue using ubuntu... well it just doesn't feel right.

Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu has done a great deal of amazing things for linux and FOSS in general, but I can't see my pastor using something with Karmic in the name.
    2 points , 1 ask your pastor , you might be suprised . 2 Christianity has exactly the same concept , that you will be rewarded for your virtues and punished for your sins .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast