View Poll Results: Do we need a mono-controversy FAQ?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

0 0%
  • Yes

0 0%
Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Old mono rants

Beans

Old mono rants

This is the old ranting thread, if you wish to discuss mono , use the new thread Monolith

I see that the ubuntu-desktop package depends on mono now. I'm investing heavily in Ubuntu and I think this is a bad decision, moreover when there are other alternatives.

Microsoft has already begin to threaten with lawsuits anyone not using their "Microsoft approved" Linux distribution, and it seems that in this new situation Novell is the new SCO. Microsoft's threats are unfounded but they have a lot of resource to invest in court, their objective is create fear uncertainty and doubt (FUD) about Linux.

Microsoft is already claiming that Linux distributions are infringing on their "intellectual property" (whatever that may be), but as with the previous SCO case they won't let anyone know what exactly that is. Their objective is to create doubt and fear, and there are hints that mono will play a big part in the future FUD strategy of Microsoft.

I think that people using Ubuntu has the right to choose whether they trust Microsoft and Novell not using mono to strong-arm Linux, or not. Now you can't use Ubuntu without using mono.

In this situation I do not want anything related to Microsoft or Novell in my systems because I do not trust Microsoft nor Novell.

I don't know if someone is working on this already but we need to get rid of the mono dependency in Ubuntu. Maybe include mono in an external repository.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; July 2nd, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Beans

Re: Get rid of Mono

Agreed! By using Linux and open source, i've bid adieu to Microsoft for good! I don't want anything to do with Microsoft, but now Mono now has a dotted line straight to Microsoft. If supporting Ubuntu means indirectly supporting Microsoft-Novell, then I want no part of it. Let users choose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Why do you support MS when using Mono?

Try KDE, which does atm not use mono.

Beans

Get rid of Mono

This thread comes from a "Help Forum", I think this topic is more appropriate here. (See my original post here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...73#post1717673)

Quote Originally Posted by gummibaerchen View Post
    Why do you support MS when using Mono?

Try KDE, which does atm not use mono.
    By using mono you support Microsoft because there is not a document where Microsoft explicitly says that holds no rights to any implementation of the .Net platform (which in essences is what mono is).

If we start using mono in Linux distributions, and Ubuntu in particular, to the point that it is an essential component then Microsoft could claim that all Linux distributions use "Microsoft intellectual property" and will begin to demand that enterprises and governments must pay a license to Microsoft to use Linux.

I have searched the forums but I have not found it being discussed. Maybe it was discussed in the mailing lists? Could anyone point me where to look at the discussion to include mono in Ubuntu (which are the advantages and disadvantages that mono brings)?

Beans
    Hidden!

Theads merged...
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mono?

I am using Dapper, and there is no Mono on my system.

If it were, I would reformat and find a distro that does not use it. I haven't touched a M$ product in 8 years!

Tim

Beans

I think it's in Edgy by default? I haven't used any Mono apps and certainly wouldn't now, will be interesting to see what happens though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

in dapper it doesnt appear to be installed by default, as i just reinstalled last-exit and i think it required mono so i had to go in synaptic and install it... so that only makes one program that uses mono on my system.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Mono is protected by the Open Invention Network, so a patent suit would likely lead to the equivalent of a patent nuclear war - no one wants to do that. (see the discussion when Fedora started shipping mono, for example here: http://gregdek.livejournal.com/4008.html)

Mono is also largely based on open, standardized specifications. Parts of Windows.Forms (or somthing like that, the Windows GUI stuff) and other high-level stuff are patented, and mono implements them anyway, but they are done in a way so they can be very easily removed should the need arise. The stuff included with Ubuntu all use GTK# as their widget library, so it wouldn't affect them at all.

See also the Mono FAQ about licensing and Patents for more information. http://www.mono-project.com/FAQ:_Licensing
    Last edited by Wolki; November 5th, 2006 at 08:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

some default gnome apps use mono, so mono must be included. for example, tomboy is now part of gnome.

Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast