Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The name "Karmic" is a little off putting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The name "Karmic" is a little off putting

I've used ubuntu for a good long time, but I don't feel comfortable recommending it to anyone if it will have a name like Karmic. While most people probably won't understand why I feel this way, it still bothers me.

Karmic (having or being of karma), and therefore karma is very much a religious ideal, and I cannot in all faith suggest that to another. With a heavy heart, I think this may be the last release I use.

I am sure a thread like this has already been made, but I didn't see it, so I thought to add my own mind.
    The Nameless Blog
    If someone helps you, thank them.
    DON'T DO "sudo rm -f brain" it will unlink your brain file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The name "Karmic" is a little off putting

...wtf?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

should then causality be treated as religious concept?

I'm certain that religion views/believs has nothing to do with naming process.
    I won't answer to difficult guestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The name comes from sanscrit, but it means the same as the third Newton law.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

taavikko: it doesn't actually matter. What matters is the individual's perspective. If I asked my mom to use "Karmic", she'd give me 'the look'.
    The Nameless Blog

Beans

At the end of the day if the OP doesn't feel he/she can recommend the next version of Ubuntu to people because of it's name that is entirely their choice and their right to do so. Of course it then becomes a problem if they start telling others they can't recommend it because of it's name. Free choice is a two-way street.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I still feel sad about it, since I do love ubuntu greatly. While I try to appear to be mindful of the great social consciousness, I am a Christian, and for me to continue using ubuntu... well it just doesn't feel right.

Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu has done a great deal of amazing things for linux and FOSS in general, but I can't see my pastor using something with Karmic in the name.
    The Nameless Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Then tell ppl to get "Ubuntu 9.10"... wanna have your problems.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You can always wait until it becomes Ubuntu 9.10 before you recommend it to others. Code names are usually used while a release is in development.

Besides, you should definitely wait until final release before recommending Ubuntu to someone like your mom - assuming she is as technically savvy as my mom!
    My Blog
    Ubuntu 13.04 desktop - Asus p5k-e Wi-fi/AP with Nvidia 8400GS, 64-bit
    Debian 'Testing' desktop - Asus p5k-e Wi-fi/AP with Nvidia 8400GS, 64-bit, Gnome Shell
    Debian 7.0 'Wheezy' laptop - Sony VAIO VGN-T140P, OpenBox, webserver

Beans

If your perception of your pastor's thoughts prevent you from using an operating system that you like then it's your loss, I guess.

I should probably also advise you that most GNU systems I have used also come with the Discordian program ddate, which prints out the current date according to the Discordian calendar (here is today's output: Today is Pungenday, the 37th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3175). Discordia is the goddess of chaos, also known as Eris.

The FOSS movement seems to attract non-conformists and you'll also find that Slackware linux has ties to the Church of the Subgenius. If this sort of thing bothers you then you may have trouble finding a FOSS system that meets your standards of purity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast