Thread: iBook G3 (Dual USB) won't boot from CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy iBook G3 (Dual USB) won't boot from CD?

Okay, to start off- I have no linux experience. I remember like 4 years ago, I tried some generic distribution through a virtualPC, and it was OK. I'm really wanting to install Ubuntu on my oldd iBook G3 Dual USB (it's NOT the clamshell.) I downloaded Ubuntu (Desktop) and burnt the ISO. When I try to install it (I tried pressing 'C' and 'Option+C') it goes to the Apple logo, and then starts up with OS X Panther.

HELP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: iBook G3 (Dual USB) won't boot from CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Patricc View Post
    Okay, to start off- I have no linux experience. I remember like 4 years ago, I tried some generic distribution through a virtualPC, and it was OK. I'm really wanting to install Ubuntu on my oldd iBook G3 Dual USB (it's NOT the clamshell.) I downloaded Ubuntu (Desktop) and burnt the ISO. When I try to install it (I tried pressing 'C' and 'Option+C') it goes to the Apple logo, and then starts up with OS X Panther.

HELP!
    I think this is a problem with ISO CD. Old Apple machine have problem reading CD on modern CD burners. You must burn your CD on very very low speed, x1 the best. And don't use any fancy burning tool such K3B just simple Nautilus burner.
    If you still have problem to boot with Live CD post that here i`m shure its possible to install Linux on that computer. Attention, minimum RAM for Live CD is 256 MB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: iBook G3 (Dual USB) won't boot from CD?

I got it installed, I found the correct disk for the PowerPC's, and it's fine.
    I don't know how you guys go about closing threads, but you can close this one.