Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which MP3 Player/ Ipod do You Use and Why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Which MP3 Player/ Ipod do You Use and Why?

Hi, I was just searching the internet for an relatively up to date list of compatible personal mp3 players for use with ubuntu (syncing, transferring files and the like). It seem that there is not a good up to date one, so I thought that I would try to start the ball rolling. Here goes:

(any links relating to this issue that folks find or know of please post here as well).

I use a Creative ZEN 32gb with ubuntu 9.04. It works well with Rhythmbox and Amarok although it does crash occasionally. This seems to be a problem with the players software and not ubuntu as it it crashes quite a lot with out any help from any external source.

It is supposed to work with banshee (a great player, in my opinion) but my experiences with the two together have not been good.

Also it doesn't support .ogg files and there is no os offered by rockbox....shame!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Which MP3 Player/ Ipod do You Use and Why?

I use a Sansa E250.

I've never had a problem with my Sansa and Ubuntu and I use Rockbox on it exclusively.

Beans

Which one:
    I have a 30G IPOD Video and I use Amarok 1.4 on Ubuntu 9.04. I have Rockbox on my Ipod and I use Rockbox exclusively, meaning, that my actual Ipod database is empty of music. All of my music is on the Ipod in a Music folder, organized like Amarok organizes it on my computer. I use an rsync script to keep all my cover art, music, playlists, etc synced between the computer and the ipod. The only problem I have right now is some videos don't play well on the ipod, but I'm guessing they just aren't in the right format/bitrate/etc. I haven't really looked into the video problem yet.

Why:
    The Ipod was a gift. I use Amarok because I love it, and Rockbox because I love it, and it keeps me from worrying about whether or not ubuntu music players are compatible with the ipod database, since every time I used to use iTunes, it wanted to update and change the database.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nokia n800. Runs linux.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaniac23 View Post
    ........and I use Amarok 1.4 on Ubuntu 9.04.
    I should have mentioned that I use amarok 1.4 as well. I couldn't get on with amarok 2.......any way, I digress........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have had good luck with my Sansa E280 running rockbox. I run Amarok as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I use and Archos 5 60gb its very capable and running a proprietery linux os and i just drag and drop. I usually use amarok because I love how it looks or exaile because of the awesome dynamic playlists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i use cowon, drag and drop with support for many formats

Beans

Sansa e260 + Rockbox. I have NO problems with it whatsoever and I would get another one in a second if this one broke. Highly recommended (even without Rockbox it's not bad).
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

I have an 80GB iPod classic, and it works amazingly well with Banshee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast