Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you manage your passwords?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How do you manage your passwords?

I try to use different password for every different account, page etc. From time to time I want to change all these passwords etc. I'm starting to get a bit lost with all my passwords How do you manage your passwords? Is there some password manager which integrates well within gnome(gives me notifications when my passwords are going to expire etc.) and also has windows version and it's portable - so I can carry it with me on usb stick?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do you manage your passwords?

In Linux, I use Revelation. I use KeePass in Windows.
    Linux user #438926.|Ubuntu Linux #10924| Questions: The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I keep two passwords: an insecure one for accounts I don't really care much about, and a secure one for accounts I do care about.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

lastpass
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

one way to remember passwords is to have a pattern. eg. a number of random symbols (which is the same for all passwords) with the homepage / program info in the middle.

!$Asda&"ubuntuforums!"=asd,)/U!
    or !$Asda&"googlemail!"=asd,)/U!

that way you can have relatively secure passwords and not that much to remember. of course, if someone knows your pattern he can easily figure out the other passwords. one way to get around that would be to write them in 1337. like g00gl3m41l and stuff like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

KeePassX (in the repos).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dixon View Post
    I try to use different password for every different account, page etc. From time to time I want to change all these passwords etc. I'm starting to get a bit lost with all my passwords How do you manage your passwords? Is there some password manager which integrates well within gnome(gives me notifications when my passwords are going to expire etc.) and also has windows version and it's portable - so I can carry it with me on usb stick?
    I use Last Pass - https://lastpass.com which is in the big cloud so can be accessed from anywhere you have web access. It holds all your passwords in a secure vault and can generate new ones on demand. One master password to access it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    KeePassX (in the repos).
    I second this.. I then use DropBox (www.dropbox.com) to sync my keepass databases across all my computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the ones i use everyday i got in the memory. the ones i use sometimes i keep on paper. in a safe place. the bank account password i memorized and use it once in a while but i would never use online banking or write any things down with personal informations like that on my pc.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

I don't use any password managers. I don't remember passwords. I remember keystrokes. Look at your keyboard and make a pretty pattern. Then throw in a few rhythmic taps of the shift key and you're good to go.

Here are two simple patterns. A bridge-type thing, and a great big W:

That's pretty easy to remember. But look at the passwords it gives:

Code:
    Fr%6&8ij            # The bridge type thing, typed left-to-right.
    De$5^yH             # The bridge thing, but starting one space to the left.
    De$5^yHHy^5$eD      # The bridge thing twice, once forwards, once in reverse.
    @wDr5^yhu*9         # The W-shape.
    !qaW3$rfT6&         # The W, but starting one space to the left.
    Hy^5$eD!qaW3$rfT6&  # The bridge thing, typed right-to-left, followed by the W-shape.
    Follow this method, and then bam, you have a bunch of easily recallable, insanely unguessable passwords. Beware, though: whilst it will take you only a few minutes to memorise the pattern, it might take a lot longer to recall the passwords themselves, which is bad luck if you find yourself using a foreign keyboard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast