Thread: Ubuntu does not recognize Audio CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu does not recognize Audio CD

Hi

Wondering is anyone can help with this.

I put an audio CD into my Macbook pro 4.1 running Ubuntu 9.04. I heard the CD drive working, but the CD did not appear in the list of "Places" in Nautilus. Because of this, there as not "eject" icon next to the CD and I could not get it out of the macbook. Hitting the "eject" key in the top right of the macbook's keyboard had no effect either.

The only was I could resolve this was to shut down Ubuntu, boot back into OSX, the CD was visible in OSX, so I ejected it there.

This has only happened with one audio cd so far, but I'm concered there will be others.

Are their types of audio CDs Ubuntu can't read? Seems unlikley, audio CD's (unlike DVDs) are, I think, pretty much the same the world over.

If the "Ubuntu" does not register that the CD is there and I can't eject it in Nautilus, and the eject key does not work, how do I eject a CD like this?

cheers

Beans

Re: Ubuntu does not recognize Audio CD

Make sure you have all the optical drive drivers installed. And make sure the audio CD plays in OS X, not just appears. If it's in a weird format or is corrupt, it shouldn't play in either case.
    Hope this helps.

Beans

Hi, i have a similar problem with ubuntu 8.10.
    An simple audio cd(can be played at normal cd-player) is recognized as blank CD-R.
    But I got around this: I opened Serpentine CD Creator and Sound Juicer at the same time and then put the cd in. And because of some weird magic the cd was diplayed as audio cd and was playable and visible everywhere (nautilus, mplayer ...).

I would be glad if someone could explain this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have the same problem. But don't use serpentine so I'd rather have another solution... Anybody ran into that, and has a solution? thanks!