Thread: 2.6.31 not booting, now what?

Beans

2.6.31 not booting, now what?

karmic pulled 2.6.31 which does not boot on my machine.
    There are no errors, it just stops to continue after usb-detection.

Now when i boot the old kernel i get a X without mouse or keyboard because the modules are gone i guess.

WTF am i supposed to do now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 2.6.31 not booting, now what?

Karmic is developmental software. If you want stable install Ubuntu 9.04 or 8.04.2 LTS.
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!

Beans

Thanks for nothing.
    Im not using karmic for fun, i use it because bugs in jaunty make it impossible for me to use jaunty at all.
    I need the latest intel driver just to get a working functional 2D desktop, and i dont care about compiz or 3D or any of this crap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for nothing.
    Im not using karmic for fun, i use it because bugs in jaunty make it impossible for me to use jaunty at all.
    I need the latest intel driver just to get a working functional 2D desktop, and i dont care about compiz or 3D or any of this crap.
    If Jaunty is too buggy for you, why in the world would you go to something that is still in developement and EXPECTED to have bugs?!?!?

You would be better off going back to Intrepid (8.10).

FYI: using Jaunty here ... Intel video ... all 3D compiz effects working fine. I have no complaints with the 9.04 Ubuntu release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I did the update and my machine is down now too. I have no idea how to get it back.
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RD1 View Post
    If Jaunty is too buggy for you, why in the world would you go to something that is still in developement and EXPECTED to have bugs?!?!?

You would be better off going back to Intrepid (8.10).

FYI: using Jaunty here ... Intel video ... all 3D compiz effects working fine. I have no complaints with the 9.04 Ubuntu release.

No, i would not be better with 9.04 or 8.10, the intel-driver included in those does not work with my chipset.
    Go to bugs.launchpad.net and read the bug-reports.
    I need version 2.7 of the intel-driver and now stop giving me ill advise, thanks.
    Last edited by schmolch; July 1st, 2009 at 10:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I need version 2.7 of the intel-driver
    Add the X-Swat repositories to Synaptic to get the latest 2.7 Intel drivers ....

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat...ive/x-updates/

and now stop giving me ill advise, thanks.
    We really can do without the attitude, please. When people are attempting to assist you, it's not wise to be rude even if the advice does not resolve your problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RD1 View Post
    Add the X-Swat repositories to Synaptic to get the latest 2.7 Intel drivers ....

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat...ive/x-updates/

We really can do without the attitude, please. When people are attempting to assist you, it's not wise to be rude even if the advice does not resolve your problem.

Thats interesting about that ppa but somebodies custom made packages wont do me much good. Should i have any problems with them neither ubuntu nor xorg devs will give it much weight.

And i dont want to be rude, but when i ask how to install and setup a previous kernel its not exactly helpfull to say "use ubuntu-8.10, i know its better for you".

Whatever, im just gonna file a bugreport, fortunately i have my laptop twice and only one of them is affected.