Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiretoko

Beans

Re: Shiretoko

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    You could always download the source code and install it that way... so stop complaining if the officially labels verison is not in the repos, testing takes time!

Shiretoko is the code name for Firefox 3.5, so dont worry it works. Until a proper backport is completed your stuck with the Shiretoko name, which is nothing to worry about... heck I'm on Arch Linux and it never uses the Firefox name.
    I agree with you completely, but even dloading the source has kept me at Shiretoko and again, it may be that there is no 64 bit version yet..I honestly do not know

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I'm using 64 bit Kubuntu Jaunty, with default repos, and aptitude install firefox-3.5 installed the proper version...
    --Superb--

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wirelessmonkey View Post
    I'm using 64 bit Kubuntu Jaunty, with default repos, and aptitude install firefox-3.5 installed the proper version...
    And it is branded Firefox 3.5 and not Shiretoko? Because that is exactly how I have done all 6 of my test machines and have only gotten Shiretoko each and every time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@chronon, thanz to share this with us. this give me some kind of hope in my mind after lots of frustration about new version of firefox in jaunty. i hope soon we get firefox 3.5 final version in official ubuntu 9.04 repo. & we can easily install & use it in ubuntu 9.04 jaunty.
    now, i am waiting for the day in which we get ubuntu build of firefox 3.5 from official repo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    Could it be that's not being followed in this case?
    So, it seems that the firefox-3.5 package in the Jaunty repositories will be updated to point to the final release version once everything is tested.

I got impatient and downloaded it yesterday from the mozilla site. It's noticeably faster (I hadn't tried any of the beta versions before now).
    I got impatient too because firefox 3.0 very slow on my computer. What they need to test? Windows users just download and run damn installation and have firefox in no time. I spend hours running around forum because "shiroko" and some bug on top that confuse me.

This is no good way dealing with things...

edit:
    until linux in general get a proper package management we will not be taken seriously. This is too stupid reason for frustration.
    Last edited by moster; July 1st, 2009 at 08:46 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wirelessmonkey View Post
    It's possible they were updated, but I just reloaded the package list in Synaptics and it shows as the beta version still. Only an observation since the mirror I'm looking at may not have gotten the update yet. If the package has been updated to the final version then all of the mirrors should start to show the change in the next hours.
    Last edited by Chronon; July 1st, 2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: include quote

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Shiretoko

Quote Originally Posted by moster View Post
    I got impatient too because firefox 3.0 very slow on my computer. What they need to test? Windows users just download and run damn installation and have firefox in no time. I spend hours running around forum because "shiroko" and some bug on top that confuse me.

u hav to wait...u know every software launch in windows first (i.e. google chrome, still no stable version for linux) than linux...becoz, linux need more test than windows. so, perhaps ubuntu development team taking time for this purpose.
    i am also impatient, but what can i do???? i try many method to get it now but ended up with either shiretoko or lots of bugs & errors.
    so....wait...........wait.........wait

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

edit:
    until linux in general get a proper package management we will not be taken seriously. This is too stupid reason for frustration.
    Those same Windows users spend the next six months downloading security/(insert problem here) patches that should have been addressed before release. That's just my opinion, I know almost everyone out there wants the newest fastest best right NOW, but I am one of the few that feel that the developers know what they are doing and am more than willing to wait and be patient. Heck, I have been nothing but happy with Ubuntu thus far, so why fix something that's not broke?

akakingess

Beans

edit:
    Or too stupid of a reason to be frustrated...Looking at it from a half glass full, mind you...

I have no qualms with this "improper package management" I can be patient and find the way that finally fits or use the Shiretoko which is working flawlessly, it is just blue and not called FF 3.5

Beans

To people who are complaining about how people here are not getting it the same time as Windows, Mac and other Linux distros, I thought it was logical to scrutinise and test programs before they went on the repos. Some people here obviously do not share my opinion, it seems. I haven't tried installing 3.5 on any of my Ubuntu installations yet, but for something to be put on the repos, it would be nice if it was assured to be stable on the distro in question...
    Main
    AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.7GHz | 4GB DDR2-800 | ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe | 2x Albatron GeForce 8500 GT 256MB | Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 | Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 | 510W Power Supply | Ubuntu 9.10 x86, Fedora 12 x64 and Windows 7 x64

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast