46 48.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you learn?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

How do you learn?

I've seen a lot of really in depth topics on the forums and was just wondering, how do you learn all of this stuff? Do you learn by necessity? Learn because you want to? Schedule time to learn? I'm just kind of looking for opinions on the best way to go about immersing myself in Ubuntu so I can learn more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: How do you learn?

Learn by accident
    Microsoft's crimes - Ubuntu CE - Windows 7 sins

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    No no, I won't indulge your superiority complex... But if you'd like to tell me something you're passionate about, I'd love the chance to belittle it.

Beans

I learn by giving support.

You quickly learn how to resolve recurring issues people have with software you are using/learning to use, and if you run in a similar problem, you can work around it yourself.

Classic example is Dual NViDIA cards setup in Ubuntu.

Before you restart X into the nvidia drivers.
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    and get one of the PCI locations, ie: 04:00.00

And put that inside the xorg.conf file under 'Section "Device"' in the following format:
    Code:
    BUSID    "PCI:4:0:0"
    It's the small steps that make a big difference.
    Last edited by ibuclaw; August 5th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Beans

I've a visual learner - I learn by seeing

Beans

Its not absorbing as most people think.

About a year ago I screwed up my XP partition and had to use linux (no XP install CD)
    So you just pick things up as you go along start with basics installing software, changing themes and fonts installing flash etc.
    And then when you feel you are ready to learn more there are thousands of tutorials on what you wish to learn if anything at all.
    I think most people are put off by the terminal to be honest.

But some people forget to mention that there are programs that skip the terminal (envy, ubuntu tweak etc) when people are more happier using a GUI wizard.
    Its all about what you want at the end of it all and remember apart from this forum Google is your friend

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh, you mean about Linux. Well, I learned the basics of Linux itself by conversations with a friend who is hyper-knowlegeable and does coding for a living. After getting the "skeleton", if you will, it has all been about hanging the muscles and tendons and other stuff in the right places.

In a sense, that's kind of the way I learn anything.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

all of the above to some extent .
    but the most important is learning by doing. i cant read something and then remember it if it does not get put to use. i also need to see things as examples sometimes.

but that depends on what it is i learn. stuff like computers i learn most by reading a whole lot in forums adn books . and then find the examples around that fits the best approach and from there adapt to my own needs.

i quit school very very early because i hate learning stuff from books i cant use right away. on the other hand if i just see how others do and dont know enough about it to find a better way myself then i dont feel right about it eihter.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have to actually do it to learn it. That goes for Linux as well as dance and even history class at school. I can't travel through time (yet), but I go to "living history" events when I can and participate when I can. I even got to play the part of a Confederate cannonier in the War Between the States! Wore a uniform, took the training, worked on a cannon crew (shooting blanks of course, but very LOUD ones!).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I voted "All of the above" but can relate to the "lean by doing" option: there have been questions on the forums from time to time where I'm sure there's an answer (perhaps I've seen something similar mentioned in another thread) but I hesitate to answer because I haven't actually done it myself...
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro

I learn by all bar hearing. I best learn when I have to explain the knowledge to someone less knowledgeable than me! That really puts the heat on to make sure you know what you're on about!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast