Thread: MP4 Codec for Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

MP4 Codec for Ubuntu

Where can I download a MP4 Codec for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: MP4 Codec for Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by John Private View Post
    Where can I download a MP4 Codec for Ubuntu?
    I think your confused. MP4 is a container, not a codec. It usually contains an h.264 video stream as well as audio. Wikipedia for the long explanation if you like.

As for playing back video of the type, I just install VLC, comes with everything needed. It's in the repos, if not, install all the restricted extras and you will get the codecs needed for totem to play. To use the following commands, please open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) type em and push enter.

To install all the codecs and extras :

Code:
    sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    To install VLC

Code:
    sudo aptitude install vlc vlc-plugins-pulse
    You can of course do both, that works equally well, then you have multiple options. If you need more info to understand installing, see my sig, an old tut I wrote but still valid.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by starcraft.man View Post
    I think your confused. MP4 is a container, not a codec. It usually contains an h.264 video stream as well as audio. Wikipedia for the long explanation if you like.

As for playing back video of the type, I just install VLC, comes with everything needed. It's in the repos, if not, install all the restricted extras and you will get the codecs needed for totem to play. To use the following commands, please open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) type em and push enter.

To install all the codecs and extras :

Code:
    sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    To install VLC

Code:
    sudo aptitude install vlc vlc-plugins-pulse
    You can of course do both, that works equally well, then you have multiple options. If you need more info to understand installing, see my sig, an old tut I wrote but still valid.
    Thanks seems like it is going to work perfectly I will tell you after I am done installing the files as I am doing them right now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by John Private View Post
    Thanks seems like it is going to work perfectly I will tell you after I am done installing the files as I am doing them right now.
    Thanks it worked perfectly fine