Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 44 of 44

Thread: Firefox 3.5 not following gnome font settings

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Numansdorp, Netherlands
    Beans
    47
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Firefox 3.5 not following gnome font settings

    I had the same problem with Firefox 3.6.10 after I installed and de-installed KDE. I already had a .fonts.conf file in my home directory. I renamed the file and logged out and logged in again.

    My problem was solved!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vermont
    Beans
    842
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Firefox 3.5 not following gnome font settings

    I must not be having the same problem, though it sounds very similar. None of the above workarounds have worked.

    When I use the Ubuntu Font, the menu doesn't render correctly in Mozilla Software (Firefox or Thunderbird). The Font looks "spindly", as if it needed to be bolded. The font renders correctly in the Gnome panel and other software.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    32

    Re: Firefox 3.5 not following gnome font settings

    Quote Originally Posted by hansheijmans View Post
    I already had a .fonts.conf file in my home directory. I renamed the file and logged out and logged in again.
    Thank you, Hansheijmans! This worked beautifully for me.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Beans
    15

    Re: Firefox 3.5 not following gnome font settings

    Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    I must not be having the same problem, though it sounds very similar. None of the above workarounds have worked.

    When I use the Ubuntu Font, the menu doesn't render correctly in Mozilla Software (Firefox or Thunderbird). The Font looks "spindly", as if it needed to be bolded. The font renders correctly in the Gnome panel and other software.
    I've had real success faking font smoothing with a slight text shadow (also, this method is pretty font-agnostic).

    I added the following to userChrome.css and userContent.css:
    Code:
    *{
    text-shadow: 0px 0px 1px #ababab !important;
    }
    Very quick and the improvement is quite dramatic. This was inspired by the Opera OSX Font Rendering extension (https://addons.opera.com/addons/exte....5/?display=en), thanks to the author who really deserves all the credit. Here is the original javascript:
    Code:
    (function() {
    var css = "body {\n text-shadow: 0px 0px 1px #909090 !important;\n}";
    if (typeof GM_addStyle != "undefined") {
        GM_addStyle(css);
    } else if (typeof PRO_addStyle != "undefined") {
        PRO_addStyle(css);
    } else if (typeof addStyle != "undefined") {
        addStyle(css);
    } else {
        var heads = document.getElementsByTagName("head");
        if (heads.length > 0) {
            var node = document.createElement("style");
            node.type = "text/css";
            node.appendChild(document.createTextNode(css));
            heads[0].appendChild(node); 
        }
    }
    })();
    I changed the shadow value to a slightly lighter one (the original was way too fuzzy) that gives a tighter (while still smooth) look and also seems to look a bit better against dark backgrounds.

    The above javascript could just plug into Greasemonkey, but since there's no Greasmonkey for Firefox 4 and Thunderbird, and since i'd have to add the first snippet to userChrome.css anyway to fix the UI, I just went the userChrome/userContent.css route all the way 'round. It was also just easier that way

    Anyway, this issue frustrated me for quite a while until I figured this out. I hope this workaround is something that saves someone else the same frustration.
    Last edited by xtnsgo; December 21st, 2010 at 09:49 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •