Thread: Mounting a second drive automatically/how does mount work under "places"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mounting a second drive automatically/how does mount work under "places"?

So I'm trying to have a second partition mount automatically upon bootup. Right now, I manually have to go to "Places" and then click on the drive for it to mount to it's location (/media/disk). My question is what is/are the commands that are run when I click on the unmounted drive under places?

/media/disk does not exist until I mount the drive this way, and so I'm not able to put
    Code:
    /dev/sde5       /media/disk     ext3    0 2
    into my fstab file. Also, after I mount the disk using places, the timestamp for the last edit of /media/disk is in the past, so I don't think that it's being created (as in mkdir disk) everytime. Any tips?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mounting a second drive automatically/how does mount work under "places"?

Quote Originally Posted by protargol View Post
    So I'm trying to have a second partition mount automatically upon bootup. Right now, I manually have to go to "Places" and then click on the drive for it to mount to it's location (/media/disk). My question is what is/are the commands that are run when I click on the unmounted drive under places?

/media/disk does not exist until I mount the drive this way, and so I'm not able to put
    Code:
    /dev/sde5       /media/disk     ext3    0 2
    into my fstab file. Also, after I mount the disk using places, the timestamp for the last edit of /media/disk is in the past, so I don't think that it's being created (as in mkdir disk) everytime. Any tips?
    You could manually create the mount point if that's where you want it, then add the /etc/fstab entry?

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/disk
    Linux Mint 8 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Mounting a second drive automatically/how does mount work under "places"?

Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED] (if it's ever fixed), it makes helping others easier.