View Poll Results: How many threads about Firefox 3.5 will be posted this week?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-10

12 9.38%
  • 11-20

20 15.63%
  • 21-30

13 10.16%
  • 31-40

9 7.03%
  • 41-50

11 8.59%
  • > 50

63 49.22%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Firefox question week

Beans

Re: The Firefox question week

Quote Originally Posted by DustofDust View Post
    what the people really want is ff 3.5 in the repos and that it works like a standard update. i do not understand what ubuntu is waiting for...
    First off, 3.5 is in the repos and can be easily installed.

Second, I might not be people, but I for one don't want it to work like a standard update. I want it to be easily installable alongside 3.0 and that's what Ubuntu provides.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Closed_Port View Post
    First off, 3.5 is in the repos and can be easily installed.

Second, I might not be people, but I for one don't want it to work like a standard update. I want it to be easily installable alongside 3.0 and that's what Ubuntu provides.
    I agree. For instance, Firefox 3.5 breaks my extension FoxMediaCenter and didn't have time or patience too fix the code, so I still can benefit from the speed of 3.5 without loosing the ability to run my extension when I need it.

Beans

3.5 breaks for me plain text to link and bookmark duplicate detector and the update to 2 or 3 broke conquery...

loosing plugins is part of the game and this is the downside of the plugin system and not doing a browser which addresses the power user.

i also test midori and epiphany and hopefully soon chrome without phone home.

btw. you should try http://www.tvbrowser.org/

Beans
    Distro

btw. you should try http://www.tvbrowser.org/
    Thanks for the tip. I have already tried that, but nothing beats the software that does exactly want you want and looks like you want

3.5 breaks for me plain text to link and bookmark duplicate detector and the update to 2 or 3 broke conquery...

loosing plugins is part of the game and this is the downside of the plugin system and not doing a browser which addresses the power user.
    Aside from my own extension, which is ironic, all my extensions are working perfectly. I have disabled the compatibility check and even the only two not officially updated (TagSifter and TerminalRun) also work.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; July 8th, 2009 at 12:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I have already tried that, but nothing beats the software that does exactly want you want and looks like you want
    you are welcome, personal i prefer for every task a separate application.

about your foxmediacenter
    - FoxMediaCenter performs several actions using shell scripts included in the extension code. The developer is not aware if this could create security holes. So use it at your own risk.

- In order to schedule recordings and reminders, the extension creates a file (.change.cron) in the user home directory and and add it to the crontab when the extension loads. This could override your personal cron jobs.
    such sounds terrible for me. call me paranoid but security has for me the highest priority.

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Aside from my own extension, which is ironic, all my extensions are working perfectly. I have disabled the compatibility check and even the only two not officially updated (TagSifter and TerminalRun) also work.
    i know about the compatibility check but i prefer supported solutions...

Beans
    Distro

such sounds terrible for me. call me paranoid but security has for me the highest priority.
    I agree with the paranoia, but that is basically to cover my ***

Now seriously, I don't even know if there are any risks. It could be my own paranoia kicking in, but I just wanted to let people be aware of the possibility and reasons.

I have created the extension for my personal use, but decided to release it on Mozilla because it would be selfish to keep it only for me. Nevertheless, I released it as an experimental extension and don't have plans to request Mozilla's review. Maybe a good programmer would grab it someday and release a new one, more efficient and functional.

It works for me. It could be better, but I still prefer to use it, then any other EPG out there, specially those using Java

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234