Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firfox 3.5 released! How to upgrade in Jaunty?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Firfox 3.5 released! How to upgrade in Jaunty?

Firefox 3.5 final has just been released. I'm using Jaunty and want to install the latest (and greatest). Will it automatically appear in the updates a day or so from now?

If not, I want to install it manually some other way. Any thoughts on this from the community? I don't want to use the betas or the RCs

Beans

Re: Firfox 3.5 released! How to upgrade in Jaunty?

If you check in the repos, there's the beta 4 version of firefox 3.5. I think we should wait, it shouldn't take more than a day to have it officially in the repositories.

Beans

Question Re: Firfox 3.5 released! How to upgrade in Jaunty?

Quote Originally Posted by jreyes33 View Post
    If you check in the repos, there's the beta 4 version of firefox 3.5. I think we should wait, it shouldn't take more than a day to have it officially in the repositories.
    My understanding was that FF 3.5 would not be the default for Jaunty. What repository will get the official Ubuntu version of FF 3.5, as required for Jaunty?

Would I be correct in assuming that I will not be able to simply upgrade FF 3.0.11 and will have to install FF 3.5, import the 3.0.x bookmarks, install the desired add-ons, and somehow change the menu and panel shortcuts to point to 3.5? Is there any info/docs on the FF upgrade process for Ubuntu Jaunty users?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Firefox 3.5 released! How to upgrade in Jaunty?

I found this useful: http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/06/...itory-deb.html and am using the latest version now - It's called Shiretoko though (it's not a beta or a RC) and can be started using the command firefox-3.5.

Beans

Thanks, bhagwad!

http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozi...jaunty/Release gives
    Origin: LP-PPA-ubuntu-mozilla-daily
    Label: Ubuntu
    Suite: jaunty
    Version: 9.04
    Codename: jaunty
    Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:36:54 UTC
    Looks like the right stuff. I'll give it a try.

Beans

Smile Re: Firfox 3.5 released! How to upgrade in Jaunty?

OK, following the instructions bhagwad cited worked for me. I'm running "version 3.5 Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical 1.0", aka "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090622 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Shiretoko/3.5".

Rather than mess with the /usr/bin/firefox link (change target from firefox-3.0 to firefox-3.5), I modified the menu and panel shortcuts to point to "firefox-3.5 %u" rather than "firefox %u". You may prefer to hack the link.

Bookmarks were automatically imported. Some add-ons were flagged as incompatible -- Firefox (en-GB) 3.07 and mediaplayerconnectivity 0.9.1. My other add-ons (No Script, User Agent Switcher and Netcraft Anti-Phising Toolbar) were either compatible or were upgraded automatically as part of the post-install config.

All in all, relatively painless. However, if the bit about menus, links, and add-ons doesn't make sense to you, you might be better off waiting for an "official" solution that flattens the last few speedbumps.

I've been running Google Chromium 3.0.191.0 (0). I have to agree with the Technologizer review of FF 3.5. It is slower to startup than Chrome/Chromium, but it does handle javascript-heavy sites almost as quickly as Chromium. Nice job, Mozilla!

Beans

CLI> firefox-3.5
    *NOTICE* No previous firefox-3.5 profile found, we'll initialize a profile using a copy of your existing 'firefox' profile.
    Transfering... done.
    Segmentation fault
    CLI> firefox-3.5
    Segmentation fault
    CLI> firefox-3.5 -safe-mode
    Segmentation fault
    CLI> uname -a
    Linux jauntu 2.6.28-12-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 1 19:31:32 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any suggestions?

Beans

Code:
    firefox-3.5 --safe-mode

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by giorgosts View Post
    Code:
    firefox-3.5 --safe-mode
    Code:
    CLI> firefox-3.5 --safe-mode
    Segmentation fault

Beans

Maybe there is something broken in the profile? Can I make it start on a new profile, not copying the old one?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast