I had a little bit of trouble installing the oracle application server release 2 so I thought that I would share my install process.
1. Create an 'oracle' user and 'oracle' group.
2. For user 'oracle' add 'root' to secondary list of groups
4. Log out and log back in as oracle user
sudo chmod 775 /opt
5. To fix a missing 'ntcontab.o', do the following:
sudo apt-get install gcc make manpages-dev autoconf automake libtool flex bison gdb gcc-2.95-doc binutils
7. Download the Oracle Application file 'as_linux_x86_core_101202.cpio' from oracle
sudo apt-get install libdb1-compat
8. Extract in local user directory
cpio -i --file=/<path>/as_linux_x86_core_101202.cpio -d
11. At the end of the install near 95% if is says that it cannot verify that the instance is running(message: <path>/opmn/bin/opmnctl start), hit continue.
12. That's it. Let it do it's initialization process. When it is finished exit.
13. Go to http://localhost:1156 for the admin console.
14. There still needs to be an entry in /etc/intit.d but I have not done that yet. Soon, I will update the post with the file.