Thread: Quick Question about Emacs and Lisp

Beans

Quick Question about Emacs and Lisp

Hello,

I'm interested in learning Lisp. I've been following various tutorials on the internet and they recommend the following .emacs configuration:

Code:
    ;; Setup
    (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/")
    (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/sbcl")
    (require 'slime)
    (slime-setup)

;; Use syntax highlighting
    (global-font-lock-mode t)

;; Highlight open/close parens
    (show-paren-mode 1)
    ;; Properly indent line when "enter/return" key is pressed.
    (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook '(lambda ()
          (local-set-key (kbd "RET") 'newline-and-indent)))
    The comments are mine. I have SLIME installed as well. My question is about the First two lines in the setup section. I have read in this forum that many people prefer SBCL as opposed to CLISP.

Am I missing something terribly significant by using CLISP rather than SBCL?

If so what would I need to change in my configuration file to use SBCL rather than CLISP?

Thanks!

EDIT: I found how to change lisp implementations, but I still am not sure about SBCL compared to CLISP.

I've read that CLISP is compiled to the bytecode interpreter while SBCL is compiled to machine code, so SBCL is arguably faster than CLISP...but I'm sure there is more to it than that.
    Last edited by unknownPoster; June 29th, 2009 at 07:41 PM.

Beans

Re: Quick Question about Emacs and Lisp

Well they have slight variations between their semantics. Its just preference to me, when I was learning CL, the book I was using worked perfectly with SBCL but not at all with CLISP (things would just...not work or not be there). I also don't think CLISP comes with asdf, and has some odd problems with asdf module compatibility sometimes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soltanis View Post
    Well they have slight variations between their semantics. Its just preference to me, when I was learning CL, the book I was using worked perfectly with SBCL but not at all with CLISP (things would just...not work or not be there). I also don't think CLISP comes with asdf, and has some odd problems with asdf module compatibility sometimes.
    I assume you are referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another...ition_Facility ?

Beans

Yes, I am.

www.cliki.net

Personally of the two, I prefer Clisp as it has a better REPL thanks to GNU readline. Its much nicer for just quickly trying stuff out. Though as of the past few days I have bean more interested in clojure thanks to its native java lib support, One of the problems I found with Common Lisp was a lack of available libraries, and a lack of standards for network access, threading etc.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soltanis View Post
    Yes, I am.

www.cliki.net

Thanks for the link. It will be useful as I hack my way through some tutorials and such.