Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pidgin receiving files

Beans

Pidgin receiving files

Hi. I had upgraded to the 2.5.7 to get rid of the problems having with connecting to yahoo. My niece tried to send some jpegs and wma to me through the IM. Not being able to download them. Anyone else having the same thing?
    Thanks
    Tom
    Debian Testing and Debian Stable
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Pidgin receiving files

Did a box come up indicating whether or not you should accept the files?

Beans

Yes and I clicked on accept. I can send things but when it comes to me nothing comes through. I go to where I tell it to download to and all it shows is the name. When I click on it nothing is there. Also notice that the item seems to just sit there when being downloaded. Nothing shows being transfered. Tried numerous times and each time I could send but not receive anything that she sent to me. Kind of odd isn't it?
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Georgia boy; June 29th, 2009 at 03:12 AM.
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is your niece using Pidgin also or the Yahoo! Messenger?

I'm also having problems sending files from Pidgin to YM and I think the problem also happens vice versa.
    Last edited by zeroseven0183; June 29th, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

That might be the problem - pidgin to pidgin, although pidgin should "speak" to any protocol.

Beans

I too have this and other problems with pidgin. Sometimes mine says that it doesn't connect and I have to restart the application in order for it to work. Other times I notice that I get a lot of spam IM's. Not sure if this is from pidgin specifically, but I don't get the spam on my windows machine.

Does anyone else have these problems? Or does anyone know of any other IM application for Ubuntu? If so, please let me know.

Beans

No, she isn't using Pidgin. She was trying to use some IM system. She didn't tell me what she was using. She didn't like it and went back to Yahoo Messenger. She then tried to send me a jpeg and wma from Yahoo. Still couldn't get it. Would see the icons in my folders but nothing was there. The transfer box would just sit there and not show anything downloading. I could send her stuff like jpegs but couldn't receive anything from her at all. I did update to the 2.5.7 Pidgin when I was having all of that trouble from Yahoo updating their systems and it causing our problems in Pidgin with connections.
    Don't know what to think on this. I had received files using the older version of Pidgin before but not now. Ideas anyone?
    Thanks
    Tom

Beans

Hi. I was in the Community Center and came across this post. Think that this might be the fix to what I and some of the others are having problems with in the files transfer or is it about something else?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1199766

If we had upgraded to 2.5.7 wouldn't we be getting the updates for our problems automatically or will we wind up upgrading? But since we did a PPA and installed the 2.5.7 won't any kind of upgrading either fixes or new software be done in the update manager that goes through our system all the time?
    Stupid questions, I know. But, just had to ask them anyhow.
    Thanks
    Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This has been a problem between Pidgin and Y! Messenger since the earliest version I can remember I used. I hope upgrading it to 2.5.8 will do it.

From ChangeLog - Pidgin
    Fixed an issue with file transfers. This may not resolve all issues, but it should resolve at least some of the most common ones.

advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia boy View Post
    Hi. I had upgraded to the 2.5.7 to get rid of the problems having with connecting to yahoo. My niece tried to send some jpegs and wma to me through the IM. Not being able to download them. Anyone else having the same thing?
    Thanks
    Tom
    I have the same problem all the time with yahoo! I just switched to aim. Yahoo! is causing too much trouble for what its worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast